Rules for gas pipe entering house?

I'm deciding where is the best place to put the ground box for the gas meter. The meter was in a porch but is being moved outside.

When the gas pipe enters the house it will go up a wall (in a corner) into a loft space. When it goes up the wall can it be placed behind plasterboard or must it be left exposed? When going through the wall does the copper pipe have to be sheathed in a protective pipe?

Any other pointers would be grafefully received.

Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

Who is going to be doing this moving? :))

Reply to
EricP

It has to be sheathed when going through the wall. I believe this is to prevent a leak of gas building up undiscovered in the cavity.

Sorry - don't know the answer to your other question.

Reply to
shaun

Move along now,,theres nothing to see....

Reply to
Psst

Without digging out my copy of the BSI publication , yes it has to be sleeved when it passes through the exterior/load bearing/cavity wall and no it doesnt have to be exposed when running vertically up the wall and it could be placed behind plasterboard. Make sure all joinrs are of the soldered variety and not compression fittings.

Reply to
Psst

I needs to be sleeved at any point where it comes into contact with cement or plaster, TBH it's easier just to wrap the whole thing in PVC tape, this is mainly to prevent the copper being attacked by alkalis

Reply to
Phil L

Transco will move the box (at a price if it's at your behest). The installation pipe work is the freeholder's responsibility and must be done according to the rules see BS 6891:2005 linked below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett