Rubber stuff to make bed less slippy?

This is a bit strange. I have a very good single bed donated from my mum. Perfect in every way but one. The mattress material is some sort of shiny nylon and is really slippy. The mattress skids about on the base and the sheets (fitted ones) skids about on it and ping off. Dopey design there. The mattress is a good sprung one and very comfy apart from this
Is there a substance that I could get and add to the mattress to stop this? I was hoping some sort of squirty tube of stuff that when dry would be: not sticky will have rubbery grip be very strong won't shift or crumble won't mark won't be smelly
As always TIA Suzanne
snip

Copydex (rubber type solution in a tube) is normally recommended for this type of job. There's some slight ammonia type smell before it goes off. Give it a try on something that doesn't matter, you may not think it's sufficiently transparent enough for your purposes, but I can't think of anything else.
(My mattress slips as well, but that's probably because I've got a piece of board on top of it to stiffen it up.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

On one of my single mattresses I have a cotton protective cover. It slips over it entirely, like a sock, and ties at the bottom (or top, if you prefer). Might work.
MJ
Suz wrote:

You can get sheet "susspenders" that stop the sheet poping off at the corners. They just clip onto the corners of the sheet and hook under the corner of the mattress.
Cheers,
John.

The rubbery stuff that stops rugs sliding all over the floor is good. Our kids mattress did the same things yours does and it stopped after we used a sheet of the rug stuff. Bought a roll out of a local carpet shop cheap enough. It did two rugs, one fairly big one, and the mattress, so there's quite a bit on the roll.
Suz <do send mail to ntlworld> wrote:

Had the same problem on our cheap-and-chearful mattress that we got when we first moved in. Solved by fitting an "under sheet". Sort of a fitted sheet with woolly stuff on top. Can't remember where we got it from (Argos?) but it wasn't expensive - certainly under a tenner.
Darren

My mum got me one of these and it just skids about too. It's crazy. Whatever is on it is off by the morning and whoever's in the bed is all tangled up. Also the mattress can be hanging off the bed 1 foot at any side.
Suz wrote:

wouldn't want to put a sheet on top (they're like big square mesh of vaguely sticky rubber) - but perhaps if you were to use this between mattress and base, and then put a padded layer between this and sheets on the top? or perhaps see if you can find a cheap mattress pad thing (ikea do them but I'm sure they must be available elsewhere and cheaper too).
Velvet

Thanks all. I like the idea of the mat grip. If it doesn't work it isn't stuck all over the mattress. I'll report back. Suz