Rubber sealant has come off the windows

The heating bills on my flat are extortionate and I believe this is du

to the draught from my windows. The rubber sealant is ruined. Any idea on how I go about replacing it? I phoned window ppl from my yellow page and was advised I would probably have to replace all the windows

-- butterfly

Reply to
butterfly

Get a couple of tubes of clear silicone sealant...

Reply to
John Rumm

-- butterfly

Reply to
butterfly

Which seals are you talking about? Is it the glass to frame seal or the frame to outer frame seal. I had the same problem but double glazing guy came round and showed me it was the hinges on the opening windows that were worn and they were not pulling the opening window tight on the frame seals.

=A3150 to renew hinges on whole of house. You might be lucky.

Reply to
Merryterry

If it's the rubber strips on the moving bits, then a roll of draught excluder from one of the sheds should do - it certainly did it for my daughter's windows.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In message , John Rumm writes

One technique like this is to smear Vaseline on one surface then put a bead of silicon on the other surface. When they are closed and the silicon allowed to cure it will only stick to the non-Vaselined surface, thus creating a tight seal.

Never tried it myself. I'd be cautious about using plenty of Vaseline on all adjacent surfaces in case I siliconed the window shut completely!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Could be avoided by using clingfilm, vaselined where the silicone should go.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice