RSJ in loadbearing external wall advice

We live in a semi detached house that has had an extension added to it at the side and back. The extension at the side has a toilet in it but to get to it you have to go right round the extension.

gives a better idea of the layout. So we want to add a door from the original house through to the extension which will allow us to make the toilet a lot bigger. This was originally the external wall so will need an RSJ but I'm not sure of the process involved. Do I need to see a structural engineer first or go to the building control officer or get some quotes from builders to see what kind of price we are talking about?

Can anyone give a rough price for creating a new door through an external wall?

We live in Scotland.

Regards

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

opening. Assuming there's nothing unusual above the location marked, I wouldn't bother getting a structural engineer involved. I'd ask my usual builder for a quote and his idea over steel size etc. Then get a no-plans building notice and check the builder's recommendation with the BCO.

Builder would be able to do it in a day and a half (including making good). Materials are relatively cheap. I would guess =A3750 or so, all in.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Jon thanks for the reply. I should really have added that the wall I want the door on would be below the stairs leading to the top floor. I've updated

to reflect that. I'm not sure how original staircases are installed but if they are cut into the wall then that might cause some problems.

Regards

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

On 20 Feb 2007 04:17:21 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "Tournifreak" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

He can't do that; he lives in Scotland.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula