Routing Network Cable Outside

Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get between floors? If I do this, should I be using shielded cable? Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal routing is not an option.. Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about 20m. I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run concealed as far as possible.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

The problem is that the normal Cat 5e cable is not UV resistant. UV resistant cable is available but it is not cheap and you will probably have to buy far more than you need. Obviously you could put it in conduit.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Just so. Commonly-reported group trick is to use a full-house length of drainpipe matching what you have already - can be easier to source than pukka conduit, up which (if 20mm) you'll only get 3, 4 at a pinch, Cat5s.

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

get a wireless router? Prolly end up about the same cost when you take into account time and materials?

Reply to
Buzby

If it's any help I've got cat5 running on the outside of my house, it's only been there a year but still working great. Didn't even think about UV when I installed it, but then again how much sun do we get in this country !

Jim

Reply to
Jim

As stated, wireless router £50ish,

Reply to
>{daZza

">{daZza}

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Whilst this is true I have CAT5 on a south facing wall - it has been there for about 5 years and is fine. I expect it will fail at some point due to UV degradation but it will only cost me perhaps 30 mins to replace it (and very low cost) and will be good for another >5 years.

The other possibility, assuming your house is painted, is to just paint the cable with matching paint. The paint will act as an effective UV barrier.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Whitton

Old hosepipe works well.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Security is not an issue if you read the manual ;-)

Network cards - should be no more than £20 inc vat tops.

Reply to
Buzby

But that's a £20 net card, £50 router (oh, all right, how about a pair of Belkin "Turbo" devices for that tiny bit of extra speed... how much?), possible reach issues, possible interference with/from other

2.4GHz devices (phones, microwaves, remote controls, AV senders, other 802.11 devices) causing performance degredation as a minimum...

...or (assuming the hardware is already in place for a wired solution) a couple of quid for a bit of CAT5 and some drainpipe (or whatever).

No contest.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

In article , Martin Angove writes

Unless your out in the sticks use 2.4 Ghz as a second choice only.

Wired is much better, if you can get the wire where you want that is!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Of course you can, it's just a mater of if you really want to and are prepared to what is required....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It'll be fine for a while - eventually the UV will probably degrade it & it'll need replacing unless (as others have said) it's special exterior stuff or run in conduit.

However, how difficult will it be to replace if/when it does degrade? If it means removing floorboards or damaging decorations then stick it in conduit. If it's a doddle to pull out and run more drops then just fit it & replace when network stops working/slows up drastically - cable's cheap as chips (think I might have paid about £17 for a 100m box all-in, 305m boxes can be had for £22 + vat, p&p).

Reply to
RichardS