Routing long lengths

I've often considered setting up uk.d-i-y.imports.com PLC and selling shares.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Try one of these.

1501

Those are nice bits of kit ... but I would have to be doing a lot of Router work to consider buying on of them. Though the Trend table insert is an option:
across 2 useful resources of Router Table Projects:

latter has many inbuilt links and downloadable PDF templates ... for example one for accurate marking out for the Trend table insert plate mentioned above, another for the fence.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I made my own plate from 8mm perspex. Nowhere near as fancy as the =C2=A3160 thingy, but it cost about =C2=A310. I use a Freud router that ha= s a built in height adjuster anyway.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Is MDF on its own a good enough finish ? ........... after searching, most of projects on line face the MDF with laminate to give a "protective smooth surface" ........ do you think it's necessary ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I made my own plate from 8mm perspex. Nowhere near as fancy as the £160 thingy, but it cost about £10. I use a Freud router that has a built in height adjuster anyway.

R.

The adjustable height unit is nice, but unless I suddenly find a huge increase in routing jobs .. too pricey, my adjustable height Trend router will have to do. Tempted to get the Trend insert plate ... one as it fits the router and 2 as it has removable rings for different cutters ......... depends what price I can fins one for. Seem to be around £26

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Certainly not on a 'one use' table. My first tables were all made from MDF and it seemed fine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depends on what state it's in. If it's fresh, it's fine. If it's old and damp it raises the fibres and gets a bit rough to slide easily.

I always wax my MDF jigs, but not much more than that.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That sounds a plan .... seems overkill to laminate when it is such infrequent use.

Reply to
Rick Hughes