Routing long lengths

I need to fit some corner trim on a large cladding project just completed. Roughly a 100 x 50 section. To which I want to take the arris off the leading corner.

Each length is aprox 2m long ......... and my 'intent' is to use a rounding bit (or similar) in a router to round off one corner. (maybe a bearing guided bit)

Have router and bits .... Q is how to do this ............ running router along wood with a fence is, on past experience not going to give me an even cut, always wanders off slightly at some point.

Neighbor (part maniac) ... said just jam the router upside down in a workmate and feed wood in against the bit ... easy.

Anybody done anything similar, just looking for some tips or hints ... don't have much spare so can't afford to learn as I go.,

Wood is Thermowood (heat treated pine)

Please no suggestions about buying a Router table - not worth it for 6 lengths of wood.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

...or, as when I had to fab some fence caps that I couldn't find a match for (damned cats, and their claws!)...

Piece of 18mm ply (random offcut from the shed), cut a ?..30mm? hole through which the router collet would sit, then fix the router base plate to the ply (4 screws, if I recall correctly, on my Makita), then set the depth of plunge, lock it, invert it, bit of 4x2 running the length on the underside allowed it to be locked into two workmates.

t'other side, nice flat ply to fit any form you like (eg. some 2x2 batterns screwed in as a guide)

I used that arrangement to run off several 3 metre lengths of capping without any drama.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Mike ... if I have followed your guide (pun intended) ... it would be something like :

so .. that is my job for tomorrow :-) I have some 20mm MDF sheet I could use.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If this merely taking the arris off, would a hand plane not do the job quite adequately?

Reply to
Nick

My favoured way would be a lightweight router (the Bosch palm router for 125 at Axminster is really nice and the tilting base is surprisingly useful) and taking it to the work.

Otherwise make up a table and clamp it to the Workmate. You need a thin board in the middle as a mount, then an L-section MDF fence that swings (easier than sliding) for depth adjust. Even easier is a ten- quid Happy Shopper Workmutt and throw the old top right away and dedicate the legs to being a router table. Takes you an afternoon to make and well worth it.

Don't buy a 50 quid table, they're too small.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

now that is a good idea.....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Part maniac? Complete maniac IMO.

You can make a 'safer' router table from scrap for a job like that. Bit of

12mm ply or MDF, timber for frame, holesaw to cut hole for router bit, bolt/screw router underneath. Fence only needs to be a piece of softwood pivoting on a screw at one end.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I just want to put a neat 'shape' on the leading corner ... would be difficult to keep the angle consistent along the 2m length with a hand plane (or at least thought it would be)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

can you explain more about "then an L-section MDF fence that swings (easier than sliding) for depth adjust."

not sure what you are describing.

I already have a few different tops I use on my workmate ... so another is not a problem.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

not following this bit, if fixed at one end wouldn't the fence then be at angle rather that straight ? ......... or am I missing a concept here ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The cutter is round....

Reply to
Bolted

With a circular saw the fence has to be exactly parrallel to the blade - because the blade has a 'flat' side. With a router cutter, there isn't anything for the fence to be parrallel to - because the cutter is circular.

So, if you mark a line & cut a hole for the cutter, the fence just has to pivot on this line at one end. Because the cutter is circular all is well.

Hard to explain.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I struggled with make-shift router tables - usually old worktop with a n'ole in it - for years. Finally I built a proper router table. I now find it almost impossible to undertake any wood project without using it for something. It doubles as a storage cabinet for my power tools, bits and things.

That being said, make yourself a make-shift table.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Andy Dingley

given me some ideas there .. Thnx

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Think I follow it now .... does make you wonder why all the commercial router tables go to bother of parallel fences ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

car to put up some details or pictures .... we could end up with a composite 'best in class' d-i-y table here

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I made one just like this (but didn't buy the plans!)

TheOldFellow

!
Reply to
Rick Hughes

wouldn't it be nice if you could get these in UK:

Rick Hughes