Routing gas piping

The gas people in my parents neck of the woods have taken it upon themselves to fit new meters and piping from the gas main to the meter and thence into the houses. I am not particularly impressed with the way they have routed the pipes but not knowing much about the gas side of CH I thought I'd ask here.

The piping is 22mm copper and comes into the garage to a meter attached to the wall about 5 ft off the ground. (ok no complaints so far). But they have then routed it under the roof of the garage and then down and into the house at a height not dissimilar to the front bumper of my parents' car. My parents are concerned that they may need to replace the roof in the not too distant future and therefore having the piping attached to the roof is less than ideal. I'm more worried about the low entry point into the house un the region of the car's bumper. The installers didn't consult my parents of course.

-- Malc

Don't be humble. You're not that great.

Reply to
Malc

Can you expand on this?

Nothing wrong with screwing the pipe to the roof. If they need a new roof then re-run the pipe to suit when that happens.

Reply to
IMM

The pipe runs across the garage roof and then descends about 4 ft from the end wall and enters the house about 2 ft from the floor. It's on pipe clips but my concern is that is where the front of my fathers car ends up when he uses the garage (which he does daily). He's not a bad driver but if he gets it wrong by a few inches he could easily clip the pipe.

Reply to
Malc

Get the cowboys back to move it. They should not fit gas pipes were apparent damage can occur.

Reply to
IMM

That seems a bit of a harsh spot judgement since we only have the OP's description of the job as he sees it. Damage can occur anywhere/anytime and cannot always be foreseen.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Well how would you describe a gas pipe that sticks out 2 or 3 inches from a garage wall at the exact same height as a car bumper and four foot from the end wall of the garage? Looks like it was designed to be hit by a car.

How true. remind me not to venture outside.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc