Routing gas pipe

Is it OK practice to run a gas pipe from the meter (inside house) back to the outside and back inside another room? Probably about five metres would be outside house.

No gas in the kitchen (electric cooker) but now looking at possibly changing to gas cooking. Unfortunately, no straightforward way of routing the gas pipe inside.

If it is OK, should this pipe be underground or would it be OK clipped to the outside wall, suitably protected?

Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tony Hayes

As long as you're not using pipe that rusts, then you're OK. If it is in a position where it may by in line for a lot of punishment, then cladding it in a larger PVC pipe should protect it enough.

Reply to
BigWallop

I'm no gas fitter, but I do believe you can run gas pipes on the outside of exterior walls. I've certainly seen them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yup, outside above ground is OK. Must be sleeved going through walls - I think that's all in Ed's gas FAQs.

If it's underground the rules get stricter.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for the replies. Have now read the FAQs, which I should have done before ;-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hayes

Outside is fine. Proper sleeving is required to go through walls. See FAQ below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Mine does exactly this, in 15 mm plastic coated pipe. It is however all above a single story extension. Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow

Our gas pipes (presumably installed correctly) certainly run outside the walls of the house with no extra protection. Just copper pipe tidily clipped.

Reply to
usenet

There is nothing I know of that says this is not safe in a domestic installation, but there are requirements for protection if it were in an industrial situation.

I suppose if the pipe were to be in danger of being damaged from someone using machinery around the house, then it would be the safer option to install some kind of cladding around the most exposed parts of the pipework though.

A coat of acrylic paint to match it with the house is the only way around unsightly pipes running everywhere, or more mess inside the house to make an internal route for them. Catch 22 springs to mind. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop