Router (rooter) thingy update.

SWMBO's PC is up & running, not sorted the e mail out yet, but never mind.

Bought a 5 metre Cat 6 cable with male/male ends to connect the new PC to the router. Not piggin long enough! Went to Staples yesterday & they don't do a cable with male/female ends so I can extend it, nor do they do a 'joiner'.

Their only suggestion was to buy a new 10m cable.

I'm sure Maplins or someone online sells these things, prolly much cheaper than Staples, but being a numpty I don't know what to ask for - visions of "fork handles" .

Could some kind person point me at what to order please?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

George

TZ09K from Maplin - "RJ45 coupler". They say RJ11 in one place but that's just a typo going by the description. This joins two cables.

6 in stock at Luton as of today.
Reply to
Bob Eager

Most walk-in shops are extortionate for cables.

Mind you Maplins are taking the piss at =A35 for a coupler, you would wan= t=20 the pin-to-pin version, not the crossover version.

you do go for a longer cable instead, don't let them persuade you=20 that cat6 is in any way better or faster, cat 5e is all you need, at=20 least they are "down" to =A31/m for the 10m and 15m versions.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dave I have several metres of cable, crimps and the necessary tool. If you wait until Tuesday I can let you borrow them and you can do the job for free. Regards Tim

Reply to
Tim Decker

From Screwfix

Then by £47.01 in vouchers to get free delivery ;-).

There's no need for a Cat 6 coupler - you don't need Cat 6 unless you're going Gigabit ethernet, and going a long way.

Don't think you can get away with one of these:

can't.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Good job ..

Good suggestion ..

'10m Ethernet patch cable'.

eBay eg:

the best ..

T i m

p.s. Considering your role I would suggest you take up Tim's offer and watch him make up a patch for you (a patch would use stranded cable, fixed wiring (between wall boxes / patch panels) would use solid core cable). Once you see how easy it can be (depending on how much patience you have) you could add making such to your portfolio?

Reply to
T i m

Apart from taking Tim up on his offer, I suggest that you have a look here for reasonable/sensible prices:

(Scan's postage is not cheap so not recommending them.) Always a good idea to have a range of cables to hand.

Reply to
Rod

This lot are excellent for data stuff:))..

tony sayer

================================== For future reference, find out if there's a computer fair in your vicinity. You'll always get good prices and advice at these fairs and they help to keep you aware of new stuff.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I think the point is that he wanted it today. He's very near a Maplin...

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you're near Colchester you can get a 10m cat5 patch cable from the trade counter at Rapid Electronics for £3.19

. Otherwise it's £4.95 for postage.

Reply to
Phil Jones

Not too near for the Medway Handyman!

That's the problem...Maplin are sometimes the cheapest/quickest option, much to my annoyance; postage and/or delivery delay are important factors.

If I'm in Medway, the Maplin there is OK (I used to park round the back, but someone was murdered there). But I go to Thanet about twice a week so the Maplin there is not much of an overhead in terms of fuel and time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

================================== And that's why I said, "For future reference.........".

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Sorry, it was a general reply and I probably chose a bad message to tack it onto.

I thought computer fairs were dead. I haven't seen one for ages, and when I did it seemed to have been taken over by a few cliques who had driven everyone else out and put up their prices.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But thats just plain silly ie you pay £3 to £4 to get in through the door and pay prolly £6 for the cable so ya might as well go the high street and pay.

Reply to
George

================================== It isn't silly at all.

I pay £1-50 entry as a pensioner and I choose from a selection of suppliers for various items. I have no idea what savings I make but I certainly couldn't buy half a dozen different items online (including 100 DVDs for £13-00) for a carriage / postal cost of £1-50.

Try it sometime - a visit to Manchester might be a pleasant day out for you.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

How many people that go through those doors are pensioners? its £4 at aintree racecourse and the amount of stall there leave a lot to be desired. The only time its worth going to those shows is when you're buying a lot of stuff otherwise its pointless paying the entrance fee just for a box of DVD's that can be got at most shops for less.

Reply to
George

Probably get close. SVP (svp.co.uk) give a very good service, and have '99p postage' offers quite often.

Reply to
Bob Eager

=================================== I don't count but I'm aware that a substantial proportion of the people I see are not in the first flush of youth. As I indicated earlier, it's worth the entry fee for an opportunity to browse and see what's new. Buying at discounted prices is a bonus. I haven't been to the Aintree venue (not Northern Computer Markets, I think) but why would I when I have such good service on my doorstep?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero