Router Mounting

I'm trying to mount my router upside down in a table.

Before I go any furthure, I should say it is not really designed for table mounting, but i'm stuborn and cheap :)

OK, so i've removed the plastic base plate, this was held on with some bolts with counter sunk heads. I was thinking all I needed to do would be to drill the same hole positions in my table and then use the same bolts to mount my router on the wood.

The plastic is quite thin (about 4mm) maybe even 3) this was fine before as it was just a smooth surface to ride over the workpiece. Now the base needs to support the router weight. The coutner sunk bolts are a little short, not sure how thick an MDF sheet I could get between them and the router without them falling out. So i was thinking of getting some slightly longer bolts. Any idea where I can get these bolts with counter sunk heads? I've never seen them before, do they have a specific name.?

Thanks

Reply to
jg

The Nut and Bolt store, Portland Road, HOVE, Sussex

Andy Pandy

Gnnngh!, are you sure that you..... (no, answer the question, Mike)

I can't help but think that I'm missing something here.

However, to answer the question that I think you're asking, look here:-

It's usually required to get a longer thread than you need, spin the nut onto the screw, then cut the thread to length and file the burr off. When you then spin the nut off, it helps trim the thread back to its former glory.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

??? Please tell em if i'm doing something completely wrong, it's the only way i'll learn.

Thanks, that's a greate help.

Reply to
jg

Hmm, most routers are designed for wall mounting but upside down on a table should be fine. Unless, of course, it's a wireless router then attention must be payed to the positioning of the antennae.. ;-)

Reply to
Scraggy

They'd be called countersunk head machine screws. A larger B&Q should have them, or any engineering supplier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most should work in a table.

It is usually better to mount the router on a steel plate first, and then mount this on the top of the table in a recess around a bigger hole trhough the table.

If you mount the rounter directly to the underside of the table then you will either have to have a very thin table top (not good for rigidity and accuracy), or you may sacrifice too much plunge depth on the router and not always be able to get much tool protrusion through the table.

You can buy mounting plates pre drilled for various routers (Trend do a variety of different ones).

Reply to
John Rumm