Router jigs

Having a bunch of doors to replace in the foreseeable future, I keep thinking that I could save endless sessions slaving over a hot chisel if I had the right router jigs for locks and hinges. On the other hand, when I look them up (Screwfix etc), they seem more than a little expensive considering how few times you would actually use one. So does anyone know if there's a good way around this? Perhaps some plans to build a good approximation (that might do a better job than me wiv me chisel!) or a source of a less 'pro' version? When I needed a worktop jig, I managed to find one online (can't remember where that was much cheaper than the Trend etc versions): Although I could see that you it last too long in the hands of a full time kitchen fitter, it did a fine job for a once off and I've lent it out a few times since. Any suggestions warmly received but, before anyone says it, yes I know I'm being a cheapskate.....or, rather, just unable to find the right arguments to justify the cost to a higher authority (SWMBO).

Reply to
GMM

Why not DIY?

I've cut jigs out of 12mm mdf before now (hob, sink, desks and - only tonight - to route hand-hold handles for my workbench drawers). Perhaps something stronger/more stable for working on the edge of a door - thick perspex or similar?, easy to work, cut to size and cut the template for a router template guide.

If you can spare the time, it's quite satisfying to make your own jigs for jobs like what you have planned. And cheap.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Hinge jigs - not a lot to them. Clamp or pin appropriate stops in place. Any old thin bit of ply will do. Locks - depends on the complexity.

Reply to
dom

I made my own jig to fit a pair and a half of 4" hinges out of MDF. It saved a whole bunch of time with a 1/2" cutter and collar in the router. Available for free loan against a small surity if near Telford, Shropshire.

Reply to
1501

Thanks chaps - It sounds like I may not be mistaken in thinking it shouldn't be impossible to knock something up for the job. I suppose I've been wondering how to make something that will clamp or whatever to the edge of the door, without doing any damage to the face.

Thanks for the offer 1501: It's a bit of a trek to Telford unfortunately, but is ther any chance you could post a photo of your jig somewhere to give me a clue as to what I'm aiming for?

Reply to
GMM

I'm working on the photos. Meanwhile you might like to know I usually fix my jigs to the workpiece with (don't laugh) double-sided selotape.

Reply to
1501

Be careful of the x-rays!

(One of the occasions on the video is well worth watching, IMHO.)

Reply to
Rod