Router arms

Having just got my shiny new Trend T9 router I'm looking at putting together some extra handmade jigs.
What I have a need for is a length of the rod which slides and fixes into the channels to attach the side fence. Not exactly the sort of thing you find in B&Q!
Where does one go to buy a few feet of steel or aluminium rod of the appropriate diameter?
PoP

First - where are you, as I can point you at a suitable metal stockist in SW London
Otherwise, look up metal stockists in the yellow pages - they will often sell small quantities esp for cash.
Another useful item that you can use here is "silver steel", which is accurately ground round carbon steel, intended for tool making. This comes in convenient 13inch lengths (or its metric eqivalent), and is straight, tough, and great for this kind of thing. Metal/engineering stockists should have this too.
You might also put model engineering supplies into google, as these outlets are used to supplying small quantities of stock.
Charles Fearnley

Any steel stock holders, although this will be MS, if you want something that won't rust you need to go for Silver Steel, or stainless (or possibly brass)
Your stockists may not have that - you could try your local Buck & Hickman outlet - or lab supplies shop.
Failing that any model engineering supplies would hold this, look up a model engineering mag in a newsagent - there will be plenty of mail order firms.
Other option is Trend - they probably sell this, but at a premium.
Rick
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:16:14 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"

Silver steel rusts quite easily. It's only a high-carbon hardenable steel, after all. Any rust resistance it has is as a result of a ground surface finish, rather than one with surface imperfections to give rust a start.
It's also too expensive, and too short.
-- Smert' spamionam

back.
Roy

have you tried www.mailordermetals.co.uk, they seem to stock stainless steel in many sizes quite cheap, check their postage rates though.

errr.......Aintree B&Q has this stuff in stock - bought some earlier last week.
ZD

Keep thinking this thread must be discussing the name of a pub, perhaps for a uk.d-i-y meetup...
--
Andrew Gabriel