Roundup

Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost mo st of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller marke t, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless. :(

Reply to
orion.osiris

I bought that Weedol Rootkill squirty thing (3-litre container with spray gun attached) from B&Q, I "liberally sprayed the leaves and stems" of all the weeds I could see, no rain and 21 days later and they're still growing wildly, albeit a couple of them have 2 or 3 dead leaves, the leaves that I must have accidentally sprayed 3 or 4 times. I checked the receipt just to make sure I hadn't bought Miracle-Gro by mistake.

"Kills weeds plus roots so they won't grow back" my arse. It killed a few leaves on each plant, dunno what they are but they're those prickly bramble bastard things but they're even bigger than ever, sticking a middle finger up at me and my arsenal, practically taunting me to give them another drink.

"Acts fast - results visible in just 2 days". Yes, 2 days later there were new green shoots everywhere and a tenner pissed down the drain.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Yup.

All Roundup is based on glyphosate. Its Monsantos trade name for it.

However its sold in different strengths

120, 240, 360, 480 and 680 g active ingredient per litre in response to various directives down the years.

Basically if you sprayed full strength agricultural glyphosate in your own garden and the wind caught it you could possibly kill off your neighbours garden as well.

At a guess thicker formulations will probably be stronger as there's less scope for drift.

But the same would apply to any weedkiller. Its not the possibility of the punters drinking the stuff but what it could do to a neighbours garden on a windy day or in the hands of morons.

michael adams

michael adams

Roundup is fine. Just pay attention to what you are buying and where you buy it from. Also there's no need to buy Monsanto branded Roundup, just buy glyphosate as a generic product as a concentrate at 360g/l. You should then dilute this 1:40, ie 1 litre of glyphosate to 40 litres of water for use.

Try this lot:

Their best buy appears to be 3x1 litre "Rustler" for 29.99.

Be aware, buying chemicals at farm strength is for grown ups. If you don't know what you are doing stick to the diluted stuff sold at the DIY sheds.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well I can recall, I think it was almost a decade ago or more that selling some things at full strength was stopped unless you were a farmer who planted Roundup proof crops.

So one might say, we have actually seen the last roundup!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And they say that the gene exchanging with wild plants won't happen of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think I'll start renting out Goats.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Monday 15 July 2013 13:55 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Why are you buying Roundup instead of generic glyphosate?

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Sorry, there are no products in this category"

Mmmm. A farmer friend of mine gave me some stuff to kill cleavers without harming anything else. Even being near the stuff made me feel dizzy so I gave it back.

As a matter of interest, and I don't want to buy any, what is the max glypohsate strength available? I've not seen anything stronger than 360, in various places, and even then in B&Q you had to ask for it. They had

9 litre bottles of the stuff nicked at the Canterbury store, apparently by cannabis growers.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Well you're a mug aren't you. Buy the concentrate and dilute it yourself. Much cheaper. I spray all sorts of weeds that way and the stuff dies.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban. Google on: glyphosate EU ban

mark

Reply to
mark

Also, higher concentrations often don't work because they kill the parts of the plant they land on before the plant can absorb them down into the roots, which sounds like it's what might have happened to the OP.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bugger, they seem to have redesigned the site:

The highest concentration that I have seen is 45% or 450 g/l. That must be close to the limit of solubility, Found a mention of 54% being available in the USA (Roundup 540).

Ah, free enterprise, peace and love.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Gives a whole new meaning to "sowing wild oats" if you are thinking of exchanging genetic material with them, Brian.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I must say that roundup works for me.

Reply to
Broadback

That might indeed be possible if he originally bought 2.5 litres of 360, and forgot to dilute it this time around. Though he doesn't actually mention any shrivelled foliage.

My guess it that he's using pre-diluted sprays, and didn't take his magnifying glass with him so as to be able to check the miniscule print on the labels of the various offerings, prior to purchase.

michael adams

michael adams

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

From what I can see there's no evidence that anyone is attempting to ban glyphosate, outright.

What they may be doing is limiting the opportunity for idiots to get hold of highly concentrated glyphosate, in situations where they may be too stupid to work out the correct dilution.

Maybe by increasing the minimum size, and thus cost per item, of higher concentrations.

michael adams

michael adams

It didn't work here. I diluted to the correct concentration for a sprayer, sprayed two weeks ago and it made no difference. Just prior to that, I used Weedol in a ready to use hand sprayer, which ran out part way, hence the need to mix up the Roundup. The Weedol killed everything it touched and the effect was noticeable within an hour.

Where can you buy white vinegar in 5litre containers?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield