Rotten Roofing

The old bitumen felt under the tiles on my 1930,s house is rotten .Is it really necessary to replace it (off with the roof!), no great amount of leaks virtually nothing, loads of ventilation, can see the stars in places ...attic floor heavily insulated (~250mm rock-wool), hatch sealed with strip...house fitted with CH . There are no deliberate ventilation tiles near the apex nor any fitted under the soffits (? at the bottom). what can be done in this situation to sheet,ie prevent wasps/bees etc.gaining access?(one year half a billion ladybirds..since gone and never returned?).Any ideas please..

Reply to
sm0kincomp

Although you seem moderately competent in the use of English and apparently know what thufeck you are talking about, I feel I would be doing myself an injustice if I refrained from asking for a translation.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If there are no leaks and you don't get significant amounts of water blown under tiles in high winds, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do have a leak, it might be trivially solvable by replacing or repositioning the odd tile, without redoing the whole roof. Is it really worth spending thousands just to keep ladybirds out?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

|!In article , |! snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk writes: |!> The old bitumen felt under the tiles on my 1930,s house is rotten .Is |!> it really necessary to replace it (off with the roof!), no great |!> amount of leaks virtually nothing, loads of ventilation, can see the |!> stars in places ...attic floor heavily insulated (~250mm rock-wool), |!> hatch sealed with strip...house fitted with CH . |!> There are no deliberate ventilation tiles near the apex nor any fitted |!> under the soffits (? at the bottom). what can be done in this |!> situation to sheet,ie prevent wasps/bees etc.gaining access?(one year |!> half a billion ladybirds..since gone and never returned?).Any ideas |!> please.. |! |!If there are no leaks and you don't get significant amounts of |!water blown under tiles in high winds, I wouldn't worry about it. |!If you do have a leak, it might be trivially solvable by replacing |!or repositioning the odd tile, without redoing the whole roof. |!Is it really worth spending thousands just to keep ladybirds out?

There are *lots* of roofs in Yorkshire, with York stone flags, which never had bitumen felt. There is quite an industry turning and felting these roofs, when they leak after a hundred or so years.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

towww.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartleyhttp://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_MoormanThanks for your input,I will leave it alone!

Reply to