Rotavator on steep slope

The driver who did some landscaping for me reversed up slopes with the dozer blade always facing down. Even then it was unsteady and you wouldn't want to be swinging the bucket around full and fully extended. This video says it all

funny how close together they have the tracks set and what they are trying to lift.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

It is not.

Not in surveying.

It is in mathematics.

Its a purely practical decision. You can get the height change over a slope with a pole and a theodolite, and measure the distance up the slope. No trig is required to express the slope as the sine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've watched people flymowing very steep terrain, and they used rope to tie the mower back to a tree at the top, and then swung the mower in an arc. Then, payed out a little more rope and swung it around an arc again. Rinse and repeat.

The same basic principle may work for whatever machine is eventually used.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Grass should be sufficient to prevent gullying but only if you can get it established before the gullies form:-)

Terracing?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wouldn't do that with a machine exerting traction as a rotorvator does. The flymo trick works because it tends to sit flat to the ground, has low ground friction and no traction. Yes, I've seen it done at York Uni on 45 degree 5m high slopes - bloke didn't even tie it to a tree - just walked along the top holding the rope.

A small rotorvator will turn itself over, or run away if you drop the rope :(

Reply to
Tim Watts

Netting?

Reply to