Rotary saw?

Hey

What posible use are these things? I used one today on some chipboard

- it was a joke. Do they have genuine uses?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What exactly is one?

mark

Reply to
mark

A 1/8th" or 1/4" bit doing 30,000 rpm. Bit looks like a drill bit, cuts on the sides. Can drill a hole then move it about, but performance was utter ---. Google rotozip.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I did use a (borrowed) rotozip on plasterboard in an awkward corner - did an OK job but what clouds of dust!

Reply to
Rod

Ah - a B & Q bodgetastic hole-dragging bit.

I've used one "legitimately" once to enlarge a hole in a plastic box, and again as a bodge as a kind of poor-man's router or milling machine which probably knackered the bearings of the drill it was in.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Yes but, dear God, not chipboard! Any thin rigid material that wants a hole or trimming or profiling. Acrylic for shed windows springs to mind - the rotary saw was the only thing that would do the job.

Okay, not exactly daily use but occasionaly the right tool

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I'll bear that in mind, though I would have thought the steep spiral cutting edge would grab and break the acrylic. About the only time it made any progress at cutting the chip was when it grabbed and tried to kick the tool back. I doubt I'll ever use it tbh, you live and learn..

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It was the only tool that *didn't* grab and break the bloody acrylic! Clamp it to a workmate with a guide to slide along and it did the job perfectly.

Reply to
Bob Mannix