Rotary Compost bins

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of rotary compost bins ? The ones I've Googled seem a bit pricey ( £230) , but if they work then I guess thats ok.

Anyone built one out of scrap stuff or whatever ?

Cheers for any feedback.

Reply to
Dave

then I guess thats ok.

Shouldnt be too hard to build. You can make them self rotating if you've got a couple of trees nearby. Rope and weight, one over each end of the bbl, other end tied 2/3 the way up the tree.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I guess thats ok.

Bought one form Blackwall a few years ago. Most expensive one they did. They made great claims for how quick and effective it was.

Useless.

They've now discontinued it.

Reply to
mike

guess thats ok.

I have had to suffer my wifes addiction to gardeninf ditz. I told her 'compost is just a pile of stuff left for two years'

after three, she now accepts that you don't need anything: just a space for a pile, and patience.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll save my money! :-)

Reply to
Dave

On Thu, 22 May 2008 07:13:19 +0100 someone who may be "Dave" wrote this:-

I would too. A good description from the Interweb thingy is, "The rotary system - These are cylindrical containers that hold the material. These cylinders are mounted to a support structure and can spin thereby aerating the pile inside. It is the most expensive type out there but requires less effort from the user."

Unless one is frantically busy it should be possible to divert a few minutes to turning over the compost in a pile or ordinary bin from time to time.

The money saved would buy quite a few bins and food digesters from . For some reason Northern Ireland is excluded from the offers there.

Reply to
David Hansen

Even that only reduces composting time a little.

Frankly all you need is three somewhat sectioned off areas. feed area one, leave area two and take from area three, and rotate annually.

If chipping wood and brush, maybe four areas.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was that the 'Tumbler'? I have two, and they don't compost stuff any quicker, although they work okay as ordinary compost bins, and stop the flatworms getting at the worms doing the composting...

Reply to
Anne Jackson