Room thermostats

Just because life's never simple, the thermostat on the wall conked out. We have a (soon to be replaced with a better system) hot air heating thingy, and the thermostat switches a 24V circuit feeding a relay, so a low current. Looking at Screwfix, the cheap and cheerful types seem to quote serious currents and some specify 230V AC, while others specify batteries.

Now, I can understand that some might be doing some fancy things and need a mains feed to operate but am I right in guessing that a battery operated version that quotes '2 wire installation' should simply operate as a temperature sensitive switch and do the job I need or is there something more subtle here?

I did notice a 24V version quoted as being the thing for hot air heating on TLC but I can't spare three days to wait in for it to be delivered this week and it's a lot simpler to scoot over to screwfix etc!

Reply to
GMM

Battery ones are usually "Volts Free" which I believe means the contacts are suitable for any type of supply. Mine is a Horstmann Centaurstat. I downloaded the manuals - give it a try. The circuitry is battery powered - the line in and switched line are isolated from the circuitry. No neutral is needed.

Reply to
John

Bimetal stats need the 240v supply or they suffer huge hysteresis, making them fairly useless. Batteriless electronic stats will all work on your system fine - until the batteries die or the less reliable unit does. I'd go with a 24v bimetal stat, but if you cant wait, you cant.

NT

Reply to
meow2222