Room 'deadness' for audio playback.

As a gross example of something like this, it is very obvious if you read a magazine whilst listening to the TV or hifi, the effect of turning the pages.

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

They stop them, do they?

The second bit is true.

They obviously read the same mags.

Drapes are the best option. Secondhand if money is tight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

There is a blind chap who taught himself to use echolocation to navigate around. Not just walking but riding a bicycle

Reply to
chris French

I swear I can sense people at a distance as well. There's all sorts of things like body heat causing slight air currents and radiant heat..

And by day I check the wildlife. If the pigeons fly away from ME it means there's no one else in the wood at all..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , R.G. Bargy scribeth thus

Yes, but the acoustics didn't occur to them. They were too busy in making it as visually impressive as possible. In fact its very difficult now to find a quiet pub anywhere ;(...

;!..

- Tony Sayer

Reply to
tony sayer

I'd love to spend some time in one of those!

Reply to
pastedavid

That's a very narrow choice.

Reply to
pastedavid

Sounds quite cosseting!

Reply to
pastedavid

It can be a very strange and uncomfortable feeling. I've worked in many studios which have a dead room: the most disconcerting example I've ever been in was built like a spiral shaped corridor: getting to the middle involved walking round a couple of complete turns and was odd enough, but staying the very centre for anything more than a few minutes was truly spooky: it felt as if the rest of the world had disappeared.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I find that effect simply by wearing headphones or earplugs. Cannot bear doing so for more than short periods. (Though I wonder whether having to "ignore" tinnitus has made me even less tolerant of being cut off from any real external sounds?)

Reply to
polygonum