Roofing question.

I will soon need to have my boiler replaced (21 years old) and one aspect of the job that was worrying me (£££) was the thought of someone having to go onto the roof to fit a flue plate and flue. I was expecting costs for scaffolding. I have just been watching some guys doing a new boiler at my neighbours house and was amazed to see that they had taken some tiles out of the roof and were standing in the loft to fit the plate and the balanced flue.

I guess they would have had to cut the sarking felt. Would this be a problem longer term? Are there risks associated with this type of approach to fitting the flue. When my time comes to have a new balanced flue condensing boiler should I be considering insisting on doing the flue fitting from the outside?

Reply to
John

no - assuming you dont have an incompetently laid roof that depends on the felt to keep the water out

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Unless it's old pantiles. These can let in rain when it's driven hard at the wrong angle.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Are you in a mid-terrace? If not, and you have a gable end, why not take the flue out there like we have

John

My roof is almost a pyramid (short ridge of about 5 feet) - do I mean double hipped or something.

Reply to
John

The roof is covered with "Interlocking Double Pantiles" not sure of the make - been trying to identify them from using Google.

If the sarking is disturbed then how should it be returned to a functional state?

Reply to
John