Roofing felt v temperature

It looks like I may have a weather window to allow me to refelt the shed roof, next 3 days forecast as dry. My intention is get the old stuff off over 2 days and then replace. One issue maybe the temperature as the max is about 6C and I have bought the better quality stuff. Laying it flat should not be a problem but would it be adviseable to use a `paint stripper` heat gun to heat the edges before bending the felt to fit over the edges or should this not be necessary.

Reply to
ss

Put the felt in the shed and wait until May.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

+1
Reply to
Bob Minchin

You need a 30kw propane gun to do felt properly in this weather. In fact you need it in summer if you use decent hot lay felt.

If its leaking tie a tarp over it until June.

Reply to
dennis

Yes.

My roofers did a flat bit of dormer in December. It was cold.

They used a flame gun (mega blowtorch) to soften the felt, then pre formed it (edging strips) over a wooden former on the ground.

More heat was used when the installed it and the rest of the felt.

But yes, everything was warmed up before forming.

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK consencus is leave until May/June I have ordered a cheap tarp of ebay to keep dry intil then.

Reply to
ss

Is this torch on felt or just ordianry shed roofing felt? I wouldn't like to bet on getting ordinary stuff to lay flat without a fight at current temperatures. if you can bring it indoors let it warm up for

24 hours and cut to length plus abit inside you might be able to get it in place before it cools...

Yes. But I wouldn't attempt it until it's a lot warmer. If it's leaking temporary bits of "up and under" cut up feed bag and few clouts might be enough.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Make sure it is well tied down. The wind has been doing its best to loosen the ropes on the one over my shed. As I will be replacing the felt that the wind tore off with steel profile roofing, I don't need to wait until May, just until I get the tuit.

Nightjar

He could always build a bonfire inside the shed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ordinary roof felt.

I have ordered a cheap tarp to cover the complete roof, its big enough so I can fix on to the sides of the shed to prevent the wind getting underneath it. Also got plenty of broken slab to weigh it all down at the edges. Its a mono pitched roof approx 9` x 6`.

Reply to
ss

In article , ss writes

Toolstation and all the usual suspects have plastic tarps the size of a football pitch for buttons. You can fix them down with battens screwed down the slope and as you are re-felting, the screw holes make no odds. Add some silicone under the batten at the screw points if you want it properly waterproof. I've staved off a re-felt on a huge shed for 6 mths by doing this in the past.

Reply to
fred

Thanks Fred

Reply to