Roof tile laying - problem?

Hi,

We're having an extension built at the moment and the wife is a bit critical of the way the roof tiles have been laid. I've posted a couple of photos at the following url and would be interested in advice about whether it looks an acceptable standard or not. She is worried about some of the gaps, and also how some of the tiles seem a bit raised - hopefully you can see in the pictures here:

we are aware the tiles are 'pre-owned'! It's just the way they were laid that worries us (I mean her!))

TIA,

Pete

Reply to
Peter Boulton

Inboard of the edge sections (ie in the middle of the roof) looks fine for reused tiles (IMHO). It would appear that the mortar bedding on the edge has had the effect of lifting the tiles in an unsightly manner and I suppose the overlaps with gaps would be more susceptible to driving rain. Not to mention the untidy roofing felt. Not a disaster I would say, but a bit untidy to the extent of being irritating. Probably not much help as that was probably your view anyway!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I think the tiles should be raised more towards the edge, to prevent water running off the edge of the roof. Some of these (particularly the half-width ones) slope the wrong way which will result in run-off over the edge.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have a similar smoothwold tile roof and agree with Andrew's comments especially concerning the raising of tiles at the edges. Mine are at about 10 degrees However to achieve this angled edge it is necessary to use only all full or all half tiles for the edges and not have the offset pattern used on your roof

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for all the replies. The buider re-inspected and agrees with your comments! The roofer will be coming back to rectify, hopefully, all the issues. It was put down to frost damage, but I suspect this was just good PR on the builder's part. No quibbles with the problem, so no complaint from me either!

Thanks again.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Boulton

You get gaps like this even with new roof tiles, it's because the lugs and other ribs etc have been partially cut away with the pieces, causing them to tip towards the unsupported edge....they need pointing up underneath with sand cement, or 'dry verge' fitting.

Reply to
Phil L