Roof Structure. Raised Ceiling Joist

Hi Everyone,

I am re-roofing my home in Ireland. I'm a DIYer, not a pro!

My span is 20ft, Wall plates are anchor bolted at 48" centres.

The pitch is a weird 36 deg (Had to run to meet the chimeny flashing!!)

I worked out the rafter length (148" 5/16 :)) and put up 4 master rafters(2" x 6" C18 grade) along with ridge board.

All goin well so far!

I am putting in a purlin flush with rafter at rafter mid point.

The problem is I want to raise my ceiling joist about 18" up offf the wall plate.

Should I collar tie 18" down from ridge?

Should I still use a hanger from purlin to joist?

What about strut from purlin to celing joist? Do I need to have a supported runner to carry the struts along the ridge line at celing joist level?

The next part of my roof hips into this roof, its span is 15 1/2 ft. My plan is to valley rafter to the 20 span roof ridge and use a shortened valley rafter on the other side.

From the rafter tables, it looks like I'll just about get away without

using a purlin on this one. rafters are 2" x 6" C24, good'n strong ;)

Again here I presume collar tie below the ridge?

And the same raised ceiling joist happens here also! Will I need to strut for this? Will 4 10d nails do, or should I bolt or use some special ties?

any info appreicated.

Kind Regards Pat!

Reply to
skibs