Roof-light windows

Hi,

I am contemplating having some roof windows installed. There seem to be th= ree main companies: 'Rooflight', Keylight and Velux (or have I missed any?)= . I already have some Velux windows and am reasonably satisfied with them =

- although on one of the windows the double glazed unit seal failed after a= bout 9 years.

Has anyone got recent experience and preferences?

I'm assuming installing these windows is a job for a professional, but mayb= e it's not too hard for a (reasonably) competent DIYer - anyone tried it?

If I get a builder to do it, what sort of installation costs would people e= xpect? (the roof is slate and on a ground floor building)

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris S

three main companies: 'Rooflight', Keylight and Velux (or have I mi= ssed any?). I already have some Velux windows and am reasonably satisfied = with them - although on one of the windows the double glazed unit seal fail= ed after about 9 years.

t maybe it's not too hard for a (reasonably) competent DIYer - anyone t= ried it?

expect? (the roof is slate and on a ground floor building)

Stick to velux. Keep away from Roto. For slates you need EDL flashing kit. = Depending on the size width you maybe will have to cut the rafters put a tr= immer in top and bottom and a new short rafter and extend the slate lath.= =20 Best to screw all new rafter it makes it easyer to dismantle if things go o= ut of square. You will need slate rip and slate cutters, copper straps and = alloy or copper nails. Dont be tempted to use galv nails for fixing slates.= The main thing is a full dry day.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

main companies: 'Rooflight', Keylight and Velux (or have I missed any?).

We have used Fakro for the past 10 years. We prefer them to Velux. Quality is the same or slightly better, but at a lower price.

andrew

One factor you may want to consider is that when it rains they can be rather noisy...

E.

Reply to
eastender

o be three main companies: 'Rooflight', Keylight and Velux = (or have I missed any?). I already have some Velux windows and am reasonab= ly satisfied with them - although on one of the windows the double glazed u= nit seal failed after about 9 years.

ional, but maybe it's not too hard for a (reasonably) competent DIY= er - anyone tried it?

eople expect? (the roof is slate and on a ground floor building)

. Depending on the size width you maybe will have to cut the rafters put a = trimmer in top and bottom and a new short rafter and extend the slate lath.= =20

out of square. You will need slate rip and slate cutters, copper straps an= d alloy or copper nails. Dont be tempted to use galv nails for fixing slate= s. The main thing is a full dry day.

Thanks for the tips.=20 I haven't removed slates before. I presume the slate rip pulls the nail out= from between in-situ slates, or shears the nail? I have a tile cutter (dia= mond wheel)- are these any good on slates?

Reply to
Chris S

main companies: 'Rooflight', Keylight and Velux (or have I missed any?). I already have some Velux windows and am reasonably satisfied with them - although on one of the windows the double glazed unit seal failed after about 9 years.

it's not too hard for a (reasonably) competent DIYer - anyone tried it?

expect? (the roof is slate and on a ground floor building)

Not too difficult to DIY, I think I used a Wickes clone of Velux. You might also want to think about the need for blinds.

I *think* I managed to do mine starting from inside. It's a second floor without good ladder or tower access. These were concrete tiles, and at the time it was a bare loft.

Reply to
newshound

main companies: 'Rooflight', Keylight and Velux (or have I missed any?). I already have some Velux windows and am reasonably satisfied with them - although on one of the windows the double glazed unit seal failed after about 9 years.

it's not too hard for a (reasonably) competent DIYer - anyone tried it?

expect? (the roof is slate and on a ground floor building)

if its easy access and a few drips dont matter whilst youre tweaking it the DIY.

refixing the slates if you're not going to strip them to the roof is an art with tingles like these:

george - dicegeorge

[...]

Diamond wheel is the easiest way to cut slates, but you don=92t get the dre= ssed edge. You can remove slates with a claw or slate hammer by putting the= claw in-between the joint of the slate you want to remove and jag it side = to side with a downward pull. Once you=92ve got one slates out its easy to = release the nails in the slates below. Copper nailed slate comes out quite = easy it=92s the ones with zinc or if someone=92s used galv nails takes some= getting out. That=92s when a rip is worth it.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

[...]

The above method of removing the slates with a hammer refers to natural sla= te not manmade fibre cement or interlocking slates like Britlock or Redland= Cambrians

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Chris S used his keyboard to write :

I put a Velux in our loft around 15 years ago. I needed an assistant with the lifting and it was quite daunting. I managed it all from inside and had to cut rafters. I don't know whether it was necessary, but before I cut them, I bolted solid steel angle across them to ensure nothing moved as I cut the rafter. Basically bolting the one to be cut to its two adjacent ones.

I watched the weather forecast carefully before deciding to break through, allowing an entire day with an early start to do the job. As it happens it was completed by lunch time. It was quite a relief to actually break through and get some air through - it was a scorching hot day and around 40C in that then uninsulated loft :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

about 8 years ago, so not that recent...

Very easy to DIY generally. More so if you have access from the outside, but still quite doable from the inside only.

Its doable in a day, but no idea what they would charge.

Reply to
John Rumm