roof air vents

We find that our house lacks roof ventilation, the surveyor over looked this amount many other things! I have found that I need about 1sq ft for each

300sq ft roof floor area. I would think where the vents go will effect how well they would work. We have a slate roof in an L shape, most of the house being south facing. Is there somewhere that gives some guidance on this?
Reply to
John

How did we find this?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
John

Any idea how old the roof is, and what type of felt is used? The strips of felt often sag enough between the rafters that they provide plenty of ventilation that way.

Some other things to check...

If you have water tanks in the loft... Do they have close fitting lids? Do they get hot?

Do you have any holes through the ceiling which allow air to pass through from the house, e.g. recessed spotlights, oversized holes for pipes/cables, and if so, from which rooms below? Is your loft hatch likely to be leaking air through? Do you have extract fans in bath/shower rooms, and if so, where to they extract to?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The roof was re built some 20 years ago with non breathing felt (don't think was around then, but the then owners did every thing on the cheep any way!). The house is made up of 3 old cattages, 400 to 200 years old. The roof rafters rest directly on to the stoon rubble walls.

No the overlaps are very tight, I have looked at creating "vent" but only started to damage it.

No, but there was one with no cover in airing cubared below roof which ad many holes into the roof. Its now fitted with a cover, thick plastic, clips fitted round all pipes into/out and the holes are sealed.

yes it did!

There are three, spotlightts, now fitted with plaster board covers to seal them off.. The holes for lighting, spoke detecters and odd unused pipes are now all sealed oversized

They were (there are two) but now have with seals and "shash window fasteners" toclamp them > Do you have extract fans in bath/shower rooms, and if so, where

Ground floor extracter vent through flat roof, along with the kitchin.

Reply to
John