Ronseal wood filler

We have used Ronseal wood filler on a project but my partner forgot to add the catalyst. Will the filler ever dry without it or do we have to strip it all out? Cheers, Chris

Reply to
chrismckie71

You have to strip it out. It's doesn't "dry", the setting process is a chemical one, mediated by the catalyst.

Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

We have used Ronseal wood filler on a project but my partner forgot to add the catalyst. Will the filler ever dry without it or do we have to strip it all out?

Some I had leftover hardened in the pack without catalyst, but I think that took about 3 years!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It won't dry out on a realistic timescale but you might get away with adding a trace of catalyst to it and surface mixing to start the reaction. It is a free radical polymerisation with a peroxide starter.

The resin has inhibitor in which will eventually run out and allow atmospheric oxygen to start the reaction but it may take a year of two.

If it is anywhere demanding strip it out and start again!

Reply to
Martin Brown

it will never 'dry'. It might 'set' in a decade or two. ]

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can I buy just the catalyst or use another hardener?

Reply to
Tim Walton

More easily than you will be able to find this 5 year old thread again ok HoH I bet :-)

John Rumm