Roller shutters - DIY fixable?

I have 3 roller shutters over our shop windows.

2 of them don't fully open, they jam about 6 inch short, is this something I should be able to fix or shall I get somebody in?
Reply to
R D S

If you can see why then you may be able to fix them

If you can't see why how could you fix them?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

In message , TMC writes

Should have ...

gone

Specsavers

Reply to
geoff

Is it sticking in the track (track damaged) or is the roller itself jamming. You should be able to tell by seeing if the shutter is in tension or compression.

Reply to
John

The roller is jamming.

Reply to
R D S

In message , John writes

Surely it will always be in tension?

Apart from track damage 6" up from the bottom, I suppose a slat could be out of position horizontally and not entering the top of the track?

Simple tools only required but how much time do you have to invest in this?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wouldn't think they are jamming as from what I have been told over the years is the motors don't have a shut-off.

Can you hear the motor trying to wind while you keep the key turned/button pressed, if not then it's just the cut-off switch in the shutter box that needs resetting/adjusting.

I expect you would have to drill out the pop-rivets to remove the box.

Whether to get somone in or not depends on the value of your time compared to workload and business income etc. Obviously cost for repair is tax deductable whereas your own time is not an expense, just time out of your busy workload.

Reply to
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Not quite so hi-tech, they are manual.

Indeed.

Reply to
R D S

If you were to lower the shutter and it stuck at the bottom - then if the roller was free I would expect the shutter to be in some compression due to the weight of the higher slats.

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

Umm...

I suppose: if one turn on the spring counterbalance gives less *pull* than one turn worth of slats.

The only one I have had apart needed to be held down while the bolts were engaged.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb