roller for painting artex?

I've been advised that there is a special roller for painting an artex ceiling. Is this right? I was thinking of using a brush and that paint that turns white once it's dry, just so I can see where I've painted! However two people have told me that there is a special fluffy roller that is the best thing for painting ceilings without too much dripping on the painter or the floor.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Janet,

A 'genuine' lambswool roller on the end of an adjustable pole has done this job for me admirably over many years (don't overfill it with emulsion) - and saved hours of time and effort.

As regards to seeing where you have painted - I tend to alternate between a matt finish and silk finish which resolves that problem for me, along with painting from the window and back into the room.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

A long pile roller

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

been painted, thin the first coat down by adding 30 % water or you will possibly end up with the artex coming off the ceiling and wrapping itself around the roller , believe me it does !

Reply to
devonsteve

And allow at least 4x the time you would expect for the first coat. The suction was unbeleiveable.

If it's a pointy artex, the edge of a float rubbed lightly (or more heavily for a flatter finish) over the tops of the points gets rid of most of the bits that will snap off and stick to the roller/ceiling.

I *hate* artex ceilings!

Reply to
<me9

In the USA this process seems very common on walls (not sure about ceilings)

John

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Er, um, sorry, bit dense on DIY stuff. What's a float please?

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

The tool used to apply/smooth plaster.