Roller canopies in winter - Ping TMH?

We've got a wind-out canopy, fixed to the back of the house, to provide a bit of shade in summer.

So far, I have always taken it down for the winter, put it back into its nearly 3M long cardboard tube, and stored it in the garage.

But it would be nice not to have to do that. Do people, leave theirs up and, if so, do they provide any over-winter protection from the elements?

I'm wondering about trying to construct some sort of wooden box around, to protect it from the weather. the box would need to have a hinged or removable front to allow the canopy to be wound out when required.

Any views as the feasibility of this?

To TMH: I know you fit these canopies for people, and wonder whether you've ever been asked to provide any winter protection.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not taken mine down in 10 years and wouldn't like to try without help. If it has a fringe on the end away from the house, do take this off(probably remove a plate at one end and slide it oit) Neighbours have not done ths and after 5 years it looks distinctly wor from flapping about in the wind.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Not taken mine down in 10 years and wouldn't like to try without help. If it has a fringe on the end away from the house, do take this off(probably remove a plate at one end and slide it oit) Neighbours have not done ths and after 5 years it looks distinctly wor from flapping about in the wind.

I leave ours out 365 too, not been taken down in 5 years or more, but I do cable tie it up every 200mm to stop the flap from flapping and setting off the outside light

Reply to
Nthkentman

I know someone who made a fabric sleeve with lots of velcro tabs to put over it. Wraps around the rolled-up part, and the velcro allows going around the metal bits, IYSWIM.

It keeps the last layer and the fringe thing clean and unfaded, noticeably so compared to the others around.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I haven't, because the awnings I install are available in three types; standard manual (which it sounds like you have), half cassette, which has a cover above the roller and full cassette, which has a cover top & bottom.

Most are half or full cassette, I rarely install the standard ones.

Pictures here;

I have a full cassette, so it stays out in all weathers.

They do sell awning covers for £20, which might solve your problem.

The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the links. The covers look as if they might do the job - although some of the customer reviews suggest that the ties for holding them on are not very good.

Looking at the details in the first link, the 2.5 metre 'budget' model description fits ours fairly well - except that ours unwinds from the bottom of the roller rather than the top. It doesn't really owe us a lot. We paid under £50 for it about 6 years ago in a closing down sale. But it does a useful job, and we want it to last as long as possible.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Apologies for replyig to my own post but I have just seen a neighbour fit a canvas (material?) cover to their canopy.

I should have pointed out that my canopy has been for most of its life close under the eaves of a ground floor extension. The other canopies are protecting ground floor windows on a 2 story house.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Yes, indeed. I've just ordered a waterproof cover for mine, having followed up a link kindly supplied by TMH.

Reply to
Roger Mills