Roller Blind making

I need get two roller blinds . I have priced a pair at £80 made to measure ( they are a long drop) . I can get a kitr to make a pair at £30 with the cost of fabric being extra of course. Has anyone eher ever made roller blinds . i was wondering how easy it is .I do know that the fabric has to be stiffened and you can buy solution for this or use dilute PVA . Any tips are welcome . thx Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

They are easy enough to make, but it is better to buy blind fabric which is ready stiffened. St Alban blinds sell fabric if you are in the Herts area. The key points to watch out for are:-

1) The roller mechanism is extremely critical if it is a spring back design. Long blinds with nylon mechanisms suffer from friction welding if the rise up speed is too fast. The best mechanisms were Swedish and metal, but these seem to have disappeared now. 2) Plastic chain operating mechanisms seem more long lived than cord operated systems. 3) If the blind is wide as well as long, it is best to use a metal or wooden roller. 4) Long blinds may need two pieces of fabric stitched together. Best done with a zigzag sewing stitch. 5) Getting the fabric attached squarely on the roller is critical, to ensure that the blind drops without skewing off to one side. Double sided sticky tape is adequate if a turn and a half is left on the roller at full extension.

Hope this helps Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

SWMBO says have you considered Roman Blinds? Much easier to make and (I am told and will not question on pain of pain) more aesthetically pleasing.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Have you any contact details for this company-do they have a website ,for example ?? thanks Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In article , Stuart writes

They're actually called Alban Blinds. They don't have a website, according to their ad in the Yellow Pages, but can be contacted on 01727

844822 or 01234 824440. They have a stall in the Snorbens Market (Wednesdays and Saturdays). We bought the awning on our office window (faces SW) from them 7 or 8 years ago and are very happy with it.

HTH

Reply to
Peter Twydell