Roll along gates

Please, no Bill jokes :-)

Looking for a gate to go across a wide driveway - too wide to take a normal hinged gate.

One solution could be a gate which slides across (like a sliding door).

Anyone found/fitted one of these?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Hi Dave, I'm just planning to start one of these myself for the first time, take a look at these sites for a bit of information:

'll keep you posted on how it is going when I actually get started ( planning stage > 2 years)

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Thanks for that - on first look they are a bit upmarket.

I was thinking of a manually operated wooden gate.

Main thing I would need is the runners.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

No problem Dave, if you mooch around the sites I mentioned a bit you will come across the accessories sections and this is where you'll find the track, rollers, support wheels etc. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

How wide?

Reply to
Grunff

Sliding gates, eh? A very expensive option - you'll find that out when you get the ...................... invoice.

(I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere, blowed if I can see it tho')

Reply to
Hugh

Are you remembering that a normal swing gate can have wheels or roller balls fitted to them to take most of the weight? If you have a rising driveway, then a good blacksmith can install a rising gate that is wheeled to allow it to roll up the drive with no weight on the hinges at all.

Reply to
BigWallop

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote

Try

for sliding door/gate gear.

Reply to
Toolmaker

The area swept by the gate is an area where we might wish to park a vehicle. The gate will be around 9' I think - governed by the distance from the drive gatepost to the front pedestrian gate. The other option is a gate with a fold in the middle, which reduces the swept area but requires either some serious hinges and gatepost, or a roller/castor at the join to take some of the weight. A roller/castor in turn would probably have issues with the slope of the drive.

Downside of a sliding gate is the fittings to stop it falling over :-) As we are block paving the drive we don't want too much hardware under foot.

About to do the rounds of bespoke gate makers to see if they have solved the problem already.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

All of our gates are 12', and not a single one has castors, or any form of support beyond ordinary gate hinges.

A 9' gate is a doddle; the only reason to rule it out is if you want to park in the swept area.

A 9' folded gate would not need any more in the way of hinges than a 9' straight gate - and neither would need a castor.

I think you're massively over-estimating the weight of the gate, or under-estimating the force that a hinge is designed to take.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks - think you are right there.

Went to visit Clarkes of Walsham-Le-Willows who make gates. [Very impressive firm, BTW and they also stock loads of building materials and agricultural stuff.

]

We had a very useful chat and concluded that a gate hinged in the middle is probably the way to go.

We plan to have a 5m opening; current opening is 3m i.e. 2 * 1.5m gates.

If we have two folding gates then we should have 2 * 2.5m gates which fold into 1.25m. This would give slightly less swept area than the current gates, which would be good.

We now have to decide on height and style. Our current gates are just a framework with oak strips attached to the front to match the fencing. We may well follow this design again.

The infrastructure to install a sliding gate looks far more complex and expensive.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts