Rock on Tommy!

Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife & one clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected without any green/yellow sieving.

You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Where can I find him? I've got a satellite system which gets half a dozen different satellites - but not Sky. Or FreeSat. Basically 2000 odd channels of crap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TBH Quite often saws etc are shown without guards to allow viewers to see what is going on. Norm (New Yankee Workshop)invariably uses a table saw without a riving knife (is this not a "matter of opinion" and it is only the uk market that has gone the pro knife route?). There is no excuse for wiring things "badly".

Reply to
soup

It is on "Discovery Realtime" I believe this is on Virginmedia's top telly subscription. Wouldn't know how you could get it on a "normal" sattelite reciever.

Reply to
soup

I'm gonna show my ignorance here - what is the purpose of the Earth sleeving? What does the bare wire need to be protected from? Or is it just for identification?

Reply to
PM

Ah. Right. Something else I won't be watching, then. One licence fee is more than enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These sort of programs are so influential, particularly on individuals that haven't had the chance of professional training, I think it's criminally irresponsible not to show at least the minimum level of safety essential to the job.

Norm in NYW will (or should) be using a saw table with a splitter rather than a riving knife - but in the UK Tommy & Co should be complying with the relevant workplace health & safety legislation - and that's fitted, correctly adjusted and used riving knife and crown guard.

Reply to
dom

Didn't know it was in the regs thought it was only "accepted practise".

Reply to
soup

You're correct, law is only about spin down time on table saws (in the workplace) I think. Though all new table saws offered for sale must be fitted with riving knives and crown guards I believe.

The reality is that if an employer had an accident on their premises and hadn't a good reason for not following HSE advice, they would be in a precarious situation.

The hse "advice" is very sensible imo:

dom

Surely you don't think that media IP should be free?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Either paid for by subscription or licence or adverts. Not a combination.

But there's more than enough to watch on the 'free' channels so I've no intention of paying any subscription.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At the start of each episode of NYW there is a written notice which states that guards have been removed in order to give an unobstructed view.

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

Sadly, life isn't like that any more.

I think that the BBC News web site is good material for the most part. However, access it from many places outside the UK and it's plastered with commercials.

In Germany you can still fin Tagesschau from ARD which is of similar quality.

Beyond that, it's getting difficult.

Most broadcasting is by combined funding and reselling of content. Even Auntie does that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

While I quite like Tommy, he seems like a decent down to earth type of bloke I often wonder where DRT get their presenters from. Have you watched the one with the Scottish guy who makes "useful furniture etc." from junk metal? I would love to see his house must look a bit like stepto and sons. Then theres the challenge guy where people give him X amount to make a chair, a bed or whatever else they need OMFG.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

What's the difference between a splitter, a riving knife and a pro knife?

Reply to
Ian White

snip electrical comment ..

There ae many instances when it is necessary to utilise a table=saw without a riving knife and or crown guard. Instances that spring to mind might be _coving_ a plank; producing tenons; trenching (dado-ing) a board etc. etc. A crown guard may only be used when a complete cut _through_ a board is required.

Norm, invariably prefaces all his sequences with ; 'Read and understand the manufacturers' manual"; "Know what the device is for"; and "guards have been removed for the purpose of filming".

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

BBC, Discovery or WBGH Boston.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sorry, Andy, that's too cryptic. Do you mean they are just different names, or are there also differences in design?

Reply to
Ian White

The names do get wrongly applied according to geography and the TV presenter implying interchangeability. To a degree that's true but there is a difference.

A splitter is usually a plate attached to the throat plate of the saw or to the chassis.

A riving knife is attached to the blade/arbor assembly and thus adjusts up and down putting it in the right place for most operations. Thus it's generally considered to be a better solution; plus the user is less likely to need to remove it for certain cuts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Could it be that Tommy is not what he appears to be?

Reply to
Andy Hall