Road signs

But does such a sign mean "no cycles" as in on a motorway for example or that cycles are permitted but not the riding of said cycles?

Seem to me that the barred versions are just prohibtions of the indicated action. This applies generally not just to road signs, "no smoking" etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would take what Dave says with a large pinch of salt.. he obviously doesn't have a clue!

Reply to
dennis

Snipped

snipped

Yes, agreed. There is another point here - I think that all drivers of motorised vehicles should also have used a bicycle before being given a driving licence so that they appreciate the requirements of cyclists and motor cycles.

Reply to
Clot

You are missing the point. I am not advocating exceeding speed limits, just that slavish adhesion to the limit to avoid the money grabbers is distracting. I further believe that the mere presence of these limits deludes poor drivers to slavishly adhere to the limit under conditions when it may not be safe to do so.

Reply to
Clot

Exactly, thanks.

Reply to
Clot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

The Texax Nudge, or whatever it's called; where you get the front alongside their rear quarter panel and shove sideways.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The PIT maneuver. An excellent idea on a roundabout where a tosser uses the left hand lane to turn right and you are in the right hand lane turning right. The tosser gives up their no claims bonus after you have performed it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I thought that was me?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave

If Dennis want to set records for driving then see if he can beat Barnsley to Truro and back in 9 1/2 hours.

And that included a piss stop.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It is easy to stick to the limits and it does not require any more effort than sticking to 10% + 3 mph.

All speed limits are variable.. its the maximum safe speed up to and including the legal limit. It has always been so and drivers should know this. Maybe its time to only allow professional driving tuition?

Reply to
dennis

I'd love to see you name one circumstance where exceeding the speed limit is safer than not exceeding the speed limit.

Reply to
dennis

I don't need too. You may think it makes you a man to do such things. I just think you are stupid.

Reply to
dennis

OK

To allow me to put a safe distance between us after I have overtaken you.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

I presume that our pathological liar was referring to me but if you hadn't reposted it I wouldn't have known, not that I care what he thinks of me.

I have killfiled him for the simple reason that he is forever posting contentious rubbish and I can't be bothered to argue with him. He has long since proved he has a closed mind and is not open to reason. In some ways he is worse than Dribble and may have even less friends.

Judging by the stream of derogatory remarks a good many of our regular posters have similar opinions about Dennis even if they are yet to killfile him.

Reply to
Roger

How about Copenhagen to Cambridge in 23 1/2 hours, with only 15 mins at Aachen and an hour twenty on the Calais ferry, including driving to Ejsberg to find the ferry only went every OTHER day.

Or, Sienna to Cambridge in 10 hours dead..including ferry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly so, but tramping up and down major roads at modest speeds is not that much of a challenge to boast about.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When your attention wavers because the speed is slow and reassuring. When others are forced to overtake if they need to get anywhere at legal speeds. When your passenger is dying from blood looss and the hpspital is still a way away. When overtaking prats like you, who accelerate when anyone tries it. When your downforce only comes in properly at 110mph ;-) Safe driving has very little to do with speed.

At most, a speed that you and the road and otheer roadd users 'mesh' with is probably the best.

I drive my heavy vehicle under the limit at all times. It cant react as fast as I can, or as fast as most other drivers. When I used to drive sports cars I would drive 30% faster or more. They can react. I re,ember running one in at 60mph. God. It took so long to get anywhere I was dangerously sleepy ..and had to stop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dennis may have something to say about ferry speeds now you have let the secret slip.

How dare the Captain go above 30 knots.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But '"no cycles" as in on a motorway' is a nonsense. I'm sure truckloads of them are carried on our motorways every day.

Exactly. Bar through cycle = no cycling. But no problem with carrying a cycle, for instance.

No problem with carrying cigarettes either.

I'm still at a loss to understand how omitting the bar on a "no cycling" sign is useful.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Reply to
Clot