Road signs

wrap the units in tinfoil.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You will probably notice that the ones that don't know what all the new signs and road markings mean are the ones that think they know how to drive.

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights are for AFAICS.

Even more have no idea what the lane lines at junctions indicate as can be seen from the numbers being in the wrong lanes at islands, etc.

Reply to
dennis

Deactivates the car, generates an automatic fine.

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps we'd better have one behind the vehicle as well, just to make sure no idiot runs into the back of it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Green boxes? Yellow ones yes but not come across green, so I wouldn't have clue. ha they have pictogram of a cyclist so are self explanatory, seen those but in white.

However it still look like another good reason for compulsory testing every 5 years. If only to keep up with the law changes/additions, new signage/road markings, etc.

It always strikes me as very odd, especially in these days with the Elfen Safety lot in control, that I passed my driving test 31 years ago and can continue to drive for another 21 odd years without any further examination. Rather disappointed that the recently announced "reforms" in speed limits and testing didn't include it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

Reply to
clumsy bastard

when I look at the driving of experienced drivers who never had a driving lesson or a written test and the driving of young men, I compute that knowledge of the outline shape of signs etc isn't really the issue.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

switch to a gaz guzzling SUV and you will be fine.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

cameras make a profit

Reply to
clumsy bastard

can you get fined?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing. Outline shape of road signs is not the subject of this thread!

Reply to
Bob Eager

indeed, but driver training isn't too OT, surely?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

They just aren't clear I notice the googling around just now that proper current use of them also includes an explanatory plate.

There is a narrow section of road near here with them and a give way line in one dierction but I'm pretty certain the signage in both directions is just the appropiate rectangular one without any explanatory plate. If I read things correctly the side with the give way line should have a round version and plate and the other the rectangular and plate.

I feel a report to the councils traffic department coming on if they are incorrect.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of permits or paperwork...

Reply to
Jules

A bit like the way they drive I expect.

Reply to
dennis

Really?

Reply to
dennis

No they aren't. Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions. The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed that you are allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle doesn't have a lower limit.

Reply to
dennis

I've seen those used on temporary signs but the symbols refered to often appear on permanent signs. Of course they could be used for common diversions but I've never seen a temporary sign saying "Follow black triangles" or similar.

I've ofter wondered if the permanent ones are used by the MOD.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Agreed. It's a confusing sign because it mixes colour and size in the arrows. It would have been far clearer if they had stuck to monochrome.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

A bit like the way you argue.