Road Repair Gang Prog on TV (OT)

I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road. There were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided tarmac and replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely migrate into the soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby where the edges are always in need of repair - but without drains and kurbs I feel it is fruitless.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

So, how much are you proposing to allocate to improve this class of road, and what is the break-even point?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

nothing new, I saw that technique in the Highlands of Scotland 50* years ago.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Chris J Dixon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A bit of machinery instead of blokes with barrows and spades. Use a rotary cutting machine to make a trench for the edge, Cast a concrete kurb. Then repair the road with tarmac up to the kurb. Continuous casting machines are used to make centre barriers - I would think a version of this tech could be used to fill the trench and provide a haunch.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

But, if there are no drains and a continuous kerb is created, where does the rain water go?

Reply to
Charles Hope

What they don't show you is the odd upright stone installed as perhaps a marker for something which gets overgrown, then demolishes your suspension when you pull in as far as possible for that tractor...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Charles Hope wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk:

My kerb would be low and the tarmac would be flush to its top. The rain would then run off into the soil.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Approach a bank/venture capitalist and get your road repair company running ASAP. Post back when up and running.

Reply to
Richard

The road I use my way to work [1] is a mixture of the two. Newer bits have the flat curb and older bits have the 'migrating tarmnac'. They're closing it again for two weeks so a bit more will no doubt be 'converted'. I first started using that road over 40 years ago when it was narrow and very convex (you slid off if it was icy). One day it will all be done.

[1] But only until December when I 'retire'. (FSVO 'retire').
Reply to
Bob Eager

First time it get resurfaced the new level will be above the kerb. You then begin to get migrating tarmac...

Not that I really think that's much of a problem.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Vir Campestris wrote in news:-o- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Old surfaces should always be planed off and recycled! This also avoids having to adjust levels.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Or simply spray with tar and sprinkle some gravel - it looks great.

For about 3 days...

Reply to
Tim Watts

A new roundabout is being built near us and the concrete kerb stones have holes in them - about 2" diameter and a foot apart. I can't see any conventional drains in the road surface. Maybe that's common but I've not seen it before.

Reply to
Reentrant