RJ45 outlets

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:30:53 +0000 (UTC), "Phil"

Lots of luverly links, ta. They're still all looking a bit "professional" if you know what I mean. What a company can stand and what I can afford are different things. Look at it another way, you can just about buy a 5-port hub for a tenner. I have a moral objection to paying over half that for what amounts to one passive RJ45 socket.
[Light-bulb moment. I have a spare small hub. It might be easier to run in the cable and terminate it with RJ45 plugs.]

Yeah, yeah, I know ;-)
--
Money doesn't come easy - that's the way it goes!

Mail john rather than nospam...

Nobody mentioned Screwfix :-)
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 535&id4584
This is reasonable value - the double socket kit even comes with a blanking plate for when you only want one connetcion at the moment.
I agree the wall box is huge - and it seems wasteful to throw it away and use a slimmer one - but this kit is cheaper than buying all the bits seperately.
HTH Dave R
P.S. you need a decent punch down tool as well - so your idea of running a patch cable with a hub at either end is good for just a single connection - you need to be doing several sockets before buying all the bits seems to cost in.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:18:22 -0000, David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Remember you aren't suposed to bend CAT5 very much, 2 or 3cm radius at the most.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

You might be able to add a cheap backbox to that to flush mount it in the wall, and still be cheaper than buying all parts separately.
F./
John Laird wrote:

Nimans is where I get that stuff, in white plastic anyway.
Brass/chrome/brushed stuff? tough. You will pay through the nose.