Rivnuts

I need to make some modifications to my Westfield kit car, which involve installing some more rivnuts.

Can anyone recommend a kit of rivnuts, assorted bolts & a gun? Or a good place to buy them as individual items?

Reply to
Huge

if by rivnuts you mean a captive nut swaged into a metal plate, then you dont need a gun, a hammer and a big metal block behind will do the swaging. although a press or vice is better...

ah... I see what rivnutsare. WE didn't call them that back in the day..Just holding everything in place before bolting up will do instead of a gun for small scale work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought a kit over the internet, I cannot remember exactly where from or how much, but it looks the same as this:

Works fine and has been used quite a few times for repairing things, especially toys !! different styles of insert available here:

Mrcheerful

I got a kit off Ebay - the notorious SilverLine brand. But in this case I've found it just fine, and excellent value. Although you need a pretty good grip to set the larger sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or if you're trying to do them in tight spaces then

are easier, you can make your own with a nut & bolt and couple of brass washers.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I remember rivnuts some 50 years ago... :-)

A possible alternative would be to Araldite a normal nut to the back of the hole, holding it place with a bolt/screw. Just make sure you keep glue off the threads.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've bought from this company before, but it was just for some one-off items.

No idea how they compare to competition, but they were helpful in finding what I wanted.

pastedavid

£90! Too much for occasional use.

But that looks useful, thanks.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks, that looks useful.

(Add "Hank bushes" to the oh-so-long list of things I never even knew existed.)

Reply to
Huge

Okey-doke, thanks. Given this is for occasional use, I see no need to spend a lot of money.

Reply to
Huge

(thread swerve attempt....)

A mate has a mad Caterham Seven kit car. He had it built road legal for him about 14 years ago, and he (48, clean driving licence, publisher, lives in London) has been gently winding me up about the last fully bonkers comprehensive quote he had from the brokers,

Wait for it.... £100 !!

OK, he's got a high voluntary excess & low milage on it, but....

My lowly skoda tractor is many times that :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

So... we've got a car that's insured to be used in heavy traffic, likely to be sat in supermarket car parks, used in bad weather, no restriction on mileage.

And a car that's pampered, rarely comes out to play, and even then on sunny weekends only.

And you're surprised one's cheaper to insure than the other?

Reply to
Adrian

Except they're in the US...

Reply to
Adrian

Bother.

Reply to
Huge

A quick google finds a few UK suppliers, though. The Silverline tool seems to be less than £20, with some inserts - and they're less than a fiver for 50, according to size. I think I can see a future acquisition, depending on the review you give...

Reply to
Adrian

I've had the Silverline one for a few years. It works very well - but needs quite a bit of effort. If I were using one day in day out a cantilever design which reduced the effort would likely be worth it. But since it does what it says on the tin - and seems well made for what it is and strong enough - I've got no hesitation in recommending it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know the rep Silverline have - and it seems deserved, in parts. I've had some good stuff of theirs, and I've had some utter cheese from 'em, too.

Reply to
Adrian

Quite. But since I bought it on Ebay and could easily have got a refund, I took the gamble. I've also bought a couple of SilverLine 'helicoil' kits which were fine for aluminium. At a fraction of the price of a 'better' one if you include the drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I went to a local nuts and bolts supplier to buy the rivnuts (which, of course, is hundreds of miles from you). I didn't use a specific tool, so it must have been a standard cheap pop rivetter.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

In Cambridge, Mackay's. (They have a website too, but I'm sure there are equally good suppliers elsewhere.

Alan Braggins