ripple tank - construction

I'd like to make a ripple tank to demo some wave effects. Can't seem to find any glassware suitable (a fish tank's too deep to handle easily). So I thought maybe buy a sheet of thick glass (10mm say) and glue something around the edges to make the walls of the tank. The question is what is that something? Some square section plastic stuff from ... something :-) (And what's best to glue it water tight?). I'd like a wall height of say 5-6 cm.

Reply to
michael newport

vinyl record deck cover

Reply to
N_Cook

In message , michael newport writes

I've got the opposite problem! How do you salvage the aluminium edging from a shower door?

Tapping vigorously with a mallet and wooden punch has little effect. I have tried heating with a hot air paint stripper, no good.

Next is blowtorch but I'll wait until I am ready to sweep glass off the workshop floor.

Perhaps freecycle could find you someone scrapping a suitable shower surround?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The ripple tanks we had at school were plate glass in a wooden frame and that wasn't that deep either - maybe 6mm

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can construct the tank the same way many glass fish tanks are made from sheets of glass simply glued together with silicone sealant. No need for a ny framework, if you are concerned about sharp edges ask your glass supplie rs to polish the edges. 10mm thickness seems a bit over the top.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

This is not going to work. I tried this some years ago and the weight of the water soon blew the jointing material. I used epoxy.

I don't know how big you want this but surely there has to be makers of large transparent trays around the place? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

How big?

What about (several of for strength) the lids from seedling trays?

For extra size cut and lap join with clear packing tape over, it'll be essentially waterproof.

Reply to
David Lang

The edges of tape and lids will cast shadows along with the ripples this may or may not be a problem for the OP.

But the use of a lid or similar has sown the seed of clear plastic containers that shop baked goods come in. Might not be large enough from a "big five" supermarket but CostCo sell packs of 30 mini danish's in a box about 12 x 15". It would need some supoprt but a simple frame around the outside onto the flange might suffice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1.

Also, you can remove sharp edges yourself easily enough using emery paper. (I just cleaned up a chip on a pyrex jug using a small abrasive burr in a Dremel)

Reply to
newshound

You probably want beaches to kill reflections at the sides. Might be easier to ask a local school where you can buy a Nuffield ripple tank. (I couldn't by googling)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

tight?). I'd

From memory (I've been retired from teaching physics for over 8 years), the speed of waves in shallow water is inversely proportional to the depth. You won't want any deeper than 1cm and will need beaches to stop reflections. Perforated zinc and/or detergent can help. Strobe (spinning slotted disc) will aid viewing Which properties are you looking to demonstrate?

Reply to
Lawrence

That pyrex stuff is tricky; when it breaks you get a bazillion sharp little splinters. My mom would throw any anything that was chipped, in case it did.

Reply to
unk

When I was teaching we bought supplies from Griffin & George

The site is not very user freindly.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

In message , Lawrence writes

I worked for two years at a ship model experiment tank: basically a very long swimming pool, see the Dam Busters movie.

That had a wave maker consisting of a variable speed DC motor raising and lowering a wedge into the water.

The *beach* was a ramp of what looked like roofing battens fitted across the far end of the tank.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There was a wave maker at the late-lamented swimming pool at Portobello, Edinburgh.

Reply to
charles

It'll be easy enough to by a ripple tank (we quite often by scientific equipment as we home educate) but a new one won't be very cheap.

But half the fun is putting together your own stuff.

We bodged together a ripple tank from a large shallow rectangular pyrex dish. As others have said you need some sort of 'beach' round the edge.

Following some suggestions on the web, we used some fine-ish wire mesh covered with some cotton gauze to form the sloped sides. (commercial ones just seem to rely on having a sufficient slope, but the idea here is that the mesh and cotton wlll absorb some of it as well.

Whilst it was not perfect - it had moulding on the base that shew up, but it all worked well enough to demonstrate stuff.

Have a play around with what you have, see how it works. I can't see why an aquarium wouldn't work, - just put a shallow amount of water in it.

Next on the list is an air track :-)

Reply to
Chris French

Go to a sign maker. They are in most towns. Get some offcuts of perspex (acrylic sheet) - it comes in all colours and clear - and some suitable glue. It's very easy stuff to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My recollection (from 50 years ago!) is that half of the interesting stuff came from the reflected waves where they hit the side. I don't think you'd want beach all round.

A large glass baking dish would do nicely, and you can also make apple crumble in it. Nom, nom, nom!

Reply to
GB

Depends on what you want to show - reflections can also confuse things. Normally they have beaches all round and then you can put in barriers etc. as you wish.

Reply to
Chris French

Fair enuf! I'd forgotten, or things were different then.

Reply to
GB