Ripping DVDs.

Yup the HD version is a superset of the non HD version.

No, there are alternatives. Having said that, they are ok at what they do.

It will rip an exact copy of a disc with any protection removed. However it can't write it back to a disc or transcode it to reduce the space required - say for example re-encoding a dual layer commercial DVD onto a 4.7GB DVD+/-R etc.

Clone DVD will do the shrinking and copying (but only handles unprotected discs). So the combination together work with one making any disk appear unprotected, and the other shrinking it onto lower capacity media than whence it came.

In which case, AnyDVD will do that on its own. Then use handbrake to convert the multi file images created into a single media file.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just tried FormatFactory on a BBC DVD (I don't know how protected it is). Couldn't complete the task as it was going to take too long, so I'll have a go later. It does DVD ro .avi to .mp4 if MP4 is chosen as output. The MP4 hadn't been generated but the AVI played in MPC but had subtitles. I'd been very careful to deselect subtitles, so it might be that the complete process is needed - I'll try again and let it finish. If it works, I'll try LOTR or Potter - probably more protection on those.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks - that is what I needed to know. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Yes. Never come across another app that used such a stupid way of accessing things.

It's also dog slow. Think I'll buy a Win7 version of Nero since that works fine on XP. Costs about the same. If I can't find a free one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Follow-up: Completed, still subtitles. NFG! I did do a music video with FF and that was OK.

Reply to
PeterC

Well its one of a number of ways of getting to the ripper. You can also click your start button, look in the slysoft folder and you will see a variety of options for AnyDVD including the rip options.

It depends on the drive I find. On my Optiarc DVD drive it will rip a

7GB DVD in under 10 - 15 mins normally.

Having said that, its main benefit is not the ripping so much as the way it makes all the other problems go away... (which it does for copy protected audio discs as well BTW)

Reply to
John Rumm