RIP Sir Patrick Moore

And from the Wiki site

"He had a particular affinity for cats and stated that "a catless house is a soulless house"

But if this is true then that is quite an acheivement "In its obituary, the Daily Telegraph reported that Moore believed he was the only person to have met the first man to fly, Orville Wright, as well as the first man in space, Russian Yuri Gagarin, and the first man on the moon, the late Neil Armstrong."

Reply to
ARW

Yes they are all met office trained, but the degrees are not always in atmospheric science/physics/maths (or similar). There are at least a couple that have degrees in non science subjects.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Just for once Einstein doesn't rate a mention.

Incidentally I imagine Chris Lintott will drop the "co" and become just "presenter".

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Haven't a load on the BBC regionals been laid off or are about to be as part of the DQV cuts? Some seem to popping up on ordinary presentation assignments recently, whether that is to keep them occupied while contracts finish or they have managed to wangle a way of staying on in new positions I don't know. The one who did manage to retain her position at BBC South has thanked them by buggering of to Pakistan. Probably hear about her getting stoned sometime. At least with the cutbacks we may be spared the pointless presentation of a weather forecast by one of them getting wet at location somewhere in the region just to prove it actually is raining. I wonder how much those exercises cost licence payers in travel and subsistence allowances because they fancied an evening with the yachties at Cowes week or a day out at Goodwood.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Having a degree proves only one thing: that mummy and daddy can support you though uni. Degrees these days are ten a penny; every bugger's got one. Less value than a 1960s Domestic Science O Level.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That depends very much on the university. And the subject.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You will find that real science subjects are still quite hard at red brick unis. There are plenty of soft subjects available for the people that can't manage engineering or science.

Reply to
dennis

Depends where it comes from. If it's from Imperial, it *will* be worth pretty much as much as any degree could be, because they are so over subscribed, they still have the luxury of being fussy and they have the active research happening to back up their reputation.

That's not to say that there are not lots of other establishments that can say the same - of course there are, but this one I have seen first hand.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sorry - does not. A close relative is a Met Office person - brought up by abandoned mother with no spare cash, worked very hard supporting herself to get her science degree, worked very hard in Met Office so far. Offered broadcast role but, so far, has declined and stayed backroom.

Reply to
polygonum

Plenty went through uni with no financial support from parents by working evenings. weekends and holidays. These days you can get a student loan.

Bill is just quoting from the Mail - again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely - and many with far more difficulty than my relative. I did not wish Bill's statement/quote to lie entirely unchallenged.

Reply to
polygonum

Which is insufficient to cover even rent, quite often.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most got grants. My kids' uni education didn't cost me anything

Reply to
stuart noble

Please no. Get the scruffy bastard to cut his hair and shoot a few badgers first.

Nor him either.

However both might make good guests

My guess is the beeb will let it run for another few months and then pull the plug.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Until he sold out on the Millennium and accepted it would be 31/12/1999 instead of 31/12/2000

Reply to
bert

In message , stuart noble writes

Means tested grants so few got the full amount. And at the time I got my "free" university education basic rate income tax was about 30% so on starting a job my marginal rate was higher than my sons who had a student loan.

Reply to
bert

Drivel's got one of those, so I heard

Reply to
geoff

One of mine, too. Sadly missed.

Reply to
DB

B-) He has an astrophysics degree of some sort but how long ago? More than 10 years ago it'll be way out of date.

Agreed don't like his style either, I find it just a very little patronising and there isn't the flow of enthusiasium. He knows his stuff but the presentation is flat.

Not sure how they are going to do that without Sir Patrick Moore. Fairly sure they don't have stock of shows already in the can. There will be a obit type one of course.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

He only recently completed it. Started the course but took time out to do rock'n'roll. Once he'd 'retired' he completed the course and got his degree in 2007.

Mike Tomlinson