RIP Sir Patrick Moore

of my childhood heros.

Reply to
ARW

+1
Reply to
Mr Pounder

And the rest. On the basis that my "childhood" ended a few years before he was half way through is broadcasting career...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+2
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the small group of people who made me want to be a scientist.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My father played chess with him. But that must be more than 50 years ago now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My father played chess with him. But that must be more than 50 years ago now.

Reply to
CJ

like Christopher Hitchens' misogyny, doesn't mean he wasn't a great guy in other ways - people aren't perfect).

Reply to
John Stumbles

He famously encouraged the young Heather Couper to become an astronomer, and it looked for a while that she might steal his mantle.

Reply to
Graham.

I'd have been more worried if he wasn't a UKIP type frankly.

Whatever that is... It seems to be the only intelligent sane thing to be these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. I had a couple of his books.

Reply to
harry

I wonder who will take over on The Sky at Night? Though I guess as The Sky at Night is an interesting science based programme that requires more than half a brain cell to understand will it be quietly dropped. I hope not but none of the current regular co-presenters inspire me.

Helen Czerski who co-presented Orbit a while back had a good ethustiastic style and has a scientific background, though into bubbles rather than astronomy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They will get a bimbo in. Same as weather forecasting is now.

Reply to
harry

Rules out Helen Czerski, so it'll Kate bumble then

That's just been dumbed down and down , the fact they spenta small fortune of the new graphivs which were and still are dire says that. About the same time the atlantic charts disappeared as well. Though they occasionally are shown now but not explained properly using the correct terminology.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You should look at the qualifications of some of those bimbos.

Not one without a degree and all met office trained.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They could just combine the two and have Alex Dolan present TSaN. I'd be happy.

Reply to
Huge

Me too, the first books I borrowed from the library then went out and broug= ht.

I don;t think he was a homophobic or misogynist he had stong points of view= about thing but that wss it, he said he was also in love with a girl once = biut she didn;t and there wasn;t anyone to replace her hardly a misogynist = view is it ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

+1...

As I read it she was killed in the war whilst he was a serving bomber command navigator who lied about his age to join the RAF..

So not a bad bloke really..

Delightful comment on the BBC website..

RIP Sir Patrick..

"Second star on the left, and straight on till morning;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

According to the Grauniad obit the ambulance she was driving was hit by a bomb. I didn't know that he got someone else to attend his RAF entrance medical so that they didn't find out about his heart condition.

+1
Reply to
Nick

Grrr - don't remind me how much I hate the fact that we now have some bimbo bat squeaking at us while a 3d animation swoops and soars conveying absolutely no information of any use whatsoever. The old charts packed a lot of information into a view. Useful information for anyone farming or sailing a boat.

Reply to
Steve Firth