RIP DIY - longish rant

her she's going

No you're not. My body was left for research but I doubt that they'll want it - it's been too messed about with. I'd be hapy in the garden. But save the plastic bag for something useful.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

yourself. That's

work for others,

gas or electrical

You don't have to open his posts ...

Or mine.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

then we should ALL be tinkers ...

Aye.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I thought the plastic bag would preserve her for future archi tech nogolists.

Reply to
BigWallop

Fit it and get a landlord's certificate. Covered.

Reply to
IMM

No, she'd be better left unwrapped. then you can save money on the bag - and use it for something useful. I'm sure you'll appreciate the saving ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The real reason why there is increasing regulation of the trades is a back door attempt to put elements of it that have continued to operate in the black economy into a regulatory structure in order to reach them for tax purposes.

In the case of the Part P amendments to the Building Regulations, try hard as the government might, they were unable to demonstrate any safety or accident based reason for so doing.

for that

The question then becomes one of whether an amount of training and an exam constitute competence.

The reality is that it may help, but in the final analysis, people who want to bodge jobs and do them incompetently and unsafely will continue to do so, legislation or not. Trained and certified individuals will still make mistakes on occasions.

So the conclusion is really that this may all look good to those who favour increased government intervention in our daily lives, to lawyers who may benefit from litigation, to the taxman who will have hooks into people who should have been paying their taxes and haven't and to insurance companies who will be able to apply actuarial rules more easily.

Will it be better for the consumer? I very much doubt it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Amen.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

increase

The legislation is being brought about by a government intent on unnecessary regulation and interfence in people's lives and in a desire to attempt to end the black economy in the building trade by putting tradespeople into registered orgnaisations.

quality

place

This is a totally bogus argument and a slippery slope to a totalitarian state.

As evidenced by the growth in DIY stores it is a growing market, but it is not reasonable to correlate that to increased accident risk.

If you go to one of the third world type A&E departments of an NHS hospital on a Saturday afternoon (assuming you have the whole afternoon to waste), then you find a significant number of people who have cut themselves or got bits of something in their eye from DIY work.

What's the next move? Legislate against that as well? Some of those injuries are stupidity, while others are genuine.

The correct thing to do is to provide proper education, not to mollycoddle people and control what they can and can't do.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

.. and kettles. Why do supermarkets sell bleach?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is something I intended posting a warning about.

We've been doing some resin casting for a son and to facilitate removal Spouse sprayed the inside of the mould with silicone lubricant.

In the dining room, which has a varnished floor.

I almost measured my length on it when I slipped.

Hurrah! some might exclaim - but it's not funny if it happens to you or your loved ones.

Don't spray silicone where there's a hard floor. You might damage someone you like. Even yourself ...

End of lecture.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why are we allowed to be born? It's a certain death sentence.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, but have you been trained and certified in the application of silicone sprays? you should be a member of Ye Olde Guild of Silicone Sprayers, you know....

Dont worry, it'll be legislated against soon :-)

(jocularity aside, I'll remember that, thanks)

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Fine, but do you think for one moment that adding legislation around this is going to deter the bodger?

I don't for one moment, and so what little statistical evidence that there is for part P legislation is highly unlikely to be impacted by this latest regulatory intrusion.

Price fixing is illegal anyway.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:11:18 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall strung together this:

Er, no. I didn't say it would. I was merely pointing out the fact that not everyone knows what they're doing, unfortunately a lot of the people doing the ordering about and preaching don't either. I was going for the general '2 sides to every coin' angle with my response.

I wholeheartedly disagree with part P, for more reasons than I can fit on this page. I do like a good rant but not on newsgroups, I get bored of typing!

And that, never thought of that one!

Reply to
Lurch

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:04:42 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM" strung together this:

Well, that's not really the point.

Reply to
Lurch

I'm a Liveryman of the The Worshipful Company of All Stuffe Slippery but Spouse isn't and he did the deed ...

I do hope so. I sent a copy of my post to Mr Blair, just to give him something to do.

If you don't it will all end in tears ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd just get on with it if I were you and learn by your mistakes - if your life is spared!. I remember the first time I did some electrical wiring the back of a 4 gang switch (with 2 2way) looked as complicated as a valve radio by the time I had finished it. When I came to switch on at the mains the fuses went with a big bang and a burning smell. Took another 2 days to work out why. I'm much better at it now .

Remember the DIY battle cry; "you name it - we'll do it, and even if we can't do it we'll still do it!"

Come to think - could make a good UK DIY T-shirt motto or DIY tattoo

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

There are some DIY projects I draw the line at ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

With an attitude like that I think the word you are looking for is epitaph.......

:-)

Reply to
Martin Wiseman