Ring main joint - pyro to normal

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

Which would be effective, if you could get the tape to stick effectively to completely exclude air - usually it doesn't, so can I suggest a blob of silicon sealant perhaps? Another way would be to put a blob of the potting compound over the end - I assume you got some with the seals and glands?

The manufacturer used to seal the cut ends with something similar to a tar like substance I seem to remember.

The idea is to simply stop the white chalky substance - the insulation (aluminium oxide?) absorbing moisture from the air.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'll have a look when I get back for the type of cable it is. Last time I looked, I could see the two copper wires, which had been sheathed with black plastic. They disappeared into a larger diameter black circular pipe that was filled with some sort of resin. I can't really see the other side of the pots, as they are behind plaster. Whereabouts should I be looking for the designation (is it, in fact, on the outside edge of the box - if needs be I can always remove a bit of plaster to have a peek, since that section of wall hasn't been finished properly yet anyway)

I have definitely learnt a lesson from this whole episode!

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

If your electrician can't identify the size of cable you can send a sample to one of the manufacturers. They are usually helpful. I have done this with a bit of old imperial size. They sent me a pair of pot seals almost by return. (about 7 years ago now)

Reply to
cynic

Magnesium oxide.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To copper? I'd expect it to stick pretty well.

*I* have, but the OP hasn't.

I can't say I've seen that - although I've rarely bought a complete coil. Usually a cut length.

Indoors it does so very slowly, though, and the act of stripping to terminate will remove the dodgy bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The material inside the pot seal is rather like putty - except that it doesn't set. It's normal to either clamp the seal in a special back box to provide the earth, or to use a compression gland which fits a standard 3/4 cutout and is fixed by a backing ring. Although I've a feeling neither of these methods is now considered satisfactory for an ECC.

It's a very tactile material to work with when the cable is exposed. Rather like plumbing in many ways.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I prefer earth tail pots.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Right. Are those the preferred method these days?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not in all cases, but they are a good reliable way of getting a solid earth bond. A pigtail of wire is bonded to the pot itself during manufacture.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell