Ring circuits

Just about to do the final connections at the CU end for my kitchen/ diner refit.

Conundrum: I originally wired this as two rings, one for the left hand side, one for the right hand side, as there was a pretty heavy appliance load one side in particular which even with diversity took up too much of the 32A to leave enough for it to be a single ring. That was going on the online instructions for the appliances in question. Then I checked on the telephone, and was told that one of the built-in ovens needed a 16A supply. So things got shunted around and the heavy appliance load ended up on a 40A radial to a mini-CU feeding the ovens via radials.

Anyway, this leaves me with two rings, now massively over-specified. Which I want to reduce to one ring for that floor of the house, no point in wasting the CU way, and having a more complicated and less obvious layout than it now needs to be.

The two rings run different routes back to the CU, when they leave the dining room they go all the way through a 30ft cellar to the CU. I can easily intercept them near where they enter the cellar, and interconnect them so they form a single ring. But that actually makes the circuit path much longer and is more work than just connecting them both to the same MCB as a kind of doubled-up ring. The latter instinctively feels wrong to me, but I can't put my finger on what would be wrong with it, so I am wondering if I am making work for myself.

(This is all subject to a building notice and inspection so part p comments are otiose.)

Reply to
Bolted

If you have four "ends", at your CU and you want one ring, then you need to join two of the ends to each other[1], and the other two to the MCB. Then you will have one ring. Take care the overall cable length is not being exceeded (106m of 2.5mm^2 T&E with 5% allowable voltage drop as per the 17th edition).

[1] Excuse the egg sucketh comment, but for the avoidance of doubt - that would be join one end of each ring together, and not both ends of one!
Reply to
John Rumm

Connecting 'two' rings to the MCB wouldn't be a standard circuit, also the MCB terminal might not take 4 x 2.5mm conductors comfortably. If circuit length is not an issue the best way would be to join up two lose ends to become a single ring.

Other standard circuit would be to split each ring at its far end and wire the cables as 4 radials off the same MCB - would have to be 20A though.

As well as cable length you have to comply with maximum floor area for the relevant circuit type.

Unless you are down to your last spare CU way there's nothing wrong with having the sockets split across a couple of circuits for convenience.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks, I realise all that. If I make it into a single ring I may as well do that at the other end of the cellar as suggested in my op, to save 20m or so of unnecessary additional ring length. Circuit length would be hitting the max otherwise (10m cellar, 8m diner, 6m kitchen, plus some wiggling around en route x 4).

That's what made me think about the other way, where the circuit path and voltage drop on either section would be far less.

Reply to
Bolted

Thanks for the response.

The latter is a point I hadn't considered, the CU and MCB terminals are pretty generous though.

The non-standard thing is probably enough reason on its own not to do it, so as to avoid hassle on inspection. I was really wondering why it should be less preferred than making a single ring which is effectively twice as long.

It's still got a bit too much load for a single radial (dishwasher,

3kw kettle tap thingy, big extractor hood, couple of fan boosted radiators, loads of sockets) so sticking with two rings would be preferable to that.

I've got one spare way, two would be nice. But it's probably the way to go.

Reply to
Bolted

Most reasonably modern kit will take at least 16mm^2 in the terminal on the MCB. It tends to be older CUs/MCBs/FCs that are more restrictive.

Go with two for now, and if you need the spare way later, then combine them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Connecting 'two' rings to the MCB wouldn't be a standard circuit

But any deviations from BS7671 can easily be noted on any test or installation certificate.

Common sense does apply.

Unless you are down to your last spare CU way there's nothing wrong with having the sockets split across a couple of circuits for convenience.

Two 32A circuits at the CU would be better

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth