ring circuit physical wiring

If you have to run a row of sockets all at the same height onto a ring circuit and the layout is basically linear, where should the "return leg" be physically wired in order for the wiring to all be in one of the safe zones ? If the return leg has to bypass the back boxes, is there space to sneak it past the boxes on the basis that the physical socket is slightly larger than the back box ? Or do you run it "though" the back boxes ? Or should the return leg be run on a different route, say down a corner and back along the floor ? Come to think of it, you could wire alternate sockets on the outgoing and return legs in order to balance the ring better, but I cannot imagine this being done ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Along the floor isn't a safe zone - unless you mean under the floor.

How about vertically up from the last socket and through the ceiling void?

Yes - you can run the cable back through the boxes, but you would be advised to use deep boxes - at least 35mm and then set back a bit more otherwise the cable can get in the way a bit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - I should add, if you do that, wire each socket on the alternate cable for a more balanced ring.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The most common solution would to chase up or down into a ceiling or floor void at the start and ends of the run. However other options are viable.

There are occasions where a ring topology does not suit the layout, and hence one or more radials may be more practical.

I have also seen cables taken behind back boxes (i.e. deeper) on occasion - keeps the cable well in the safe zone - just don't fix the box through it!

Along the floor is not a safe zone, although under it is ok.

I have seen it sometimes.

Reply to
John Rumm

Use a 20A radial and you don't need a return or to balance it, if there is enough juice for the end use.

Reply to
dennis

YES.

I try not to, I prefer behind the back box if needed. But see the YES.

Usually the ring takes two different routes for both legs. But it depends on the kitchen layout and where you can get the cables to enter the kitcken.

I often do that. But you do not have to be anal about the load,.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I would have thought the bigger issue would be having two cables in proximity, and possible derating?

Reply to
Fredxx

Same circuit - doesn't technically apply...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Correct. It is the number of circuits not the number of cables.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks - I live and learn.

Reply to