Rimless wallplug recommendations?

Neighbour new to the joys of walls with an inch of Victorian plaster before there's even a chance of finding brick asked me what wallplugs I recommend. I told him I use Fischer SX rimless so they can set into the brick (when you find it) but that I wouldn't want to recommend as such them without asking my betters. So any recommendations please?

Reply to
Robin

+1 for SX
Reply to
Tim Watts

I use Rawlplug UNO, which have a rim and tap them through the plaster with a punch.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I tap them through using a screw, backwards. Perfect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nice!

Reply to
stuart noble

I love the Unos - does anyone sell the yellow ones on their own?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

/I love the Unos - does anyone sell the yellow ones on their own? /q

The Range did last time I stocked up, all? 3 size/colours sold separately.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Thanks for the comments. I've passed them all on. (But I think he, like me, has a fair bit of plaster that wants to run and hide under the floorboards as soon as it sees a hammer so tapping rimmed plugs through it may not be the chosen option.)

Reply to
Robin

The *best* solution may be to purchase something specific. However I usuall y end up tweaking something genetic that I have. So, normal rawlplugs, just cut off the rim. If you want a "sheath" all the way up, a cheap frame fixi ng (e.g. from toolstation), trimmed to suit. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Victorian plaster is usually so soft you're not going to want to fix to it anyway. So make the correct sized hole into the brick, then tap a flanged plug in so it stops at the brick.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. I see the merits of that if it's just the odd job - though I'm put off by my incompetence which means I've all too often nicked a finger doing it with whatever wrong tool was at hand :(

Reply to
Robin

Yes, maybe you can get a special tool to do it ;-) I find electrical side cutters do the job. And the trick with a stanley knife is to "wobble" the blade through the plastic rather than trying to "slice" it and risk the knife slicing you too. Or, hold the knife steady and pull the item past it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

To risk thread drift, but oh I hate the plaster dilemma. Should I get the old plaster skimmed and hope it stays on the wall, or rip it all off and start again? I have tried drilling holes and injecting PVA which sometimes helps. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I sounded all of mine out with a spanner wheeltapper style.

Knocked the loose patches off (usually the skim) then PVA'd it and reskimmed.

Been fine for several years - still find the odd small hollow patch, but they are extremely few in number and of no consequence.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've several pairs of flush side cutters - all small except one - and they're really good for plugs, cutting cable ties flat and flush etc.

Reply to
PeterC