Rim Lock Question

Apologies for posting this again but I posted it as part of a previous post and only got answers to my first part. I'm doing the work in the morning so hopefully there is someone out there who might be able to help but then it is friday night!....

I'm replacing the rim lock and putting in a new mortice lock in an original timber Victorian front door. The door doesnt fit very well but we need to get new locks on ASAP. I've sorted out the mortice lock question but need to work out what i am doing with the rim lock.

Currently there is a shabby looking night latch and a larger rebate around the edge of the latch indiactng a previous larger rim lock of some description.

I'm planning to install the big fat Yale deadlocking rim lock and I'm wondering whehter it would be best to replace the existing lock and work with the mess that's presumably been made of the door over the years in that area or just cut my losses, go 30cm further up the door and install it totally from fresh. any pros and cons in terms of door weakness and considerations because of it's ill fitting??

Reply to
kev208

Rim locks do not greatly affect the strength of a door, unless the hole for a night latch cylinder has been cut through a joint. It would certainly be easier working in fresh wood and patching up the old holes later, but, without seeing the door itself, it is very difficult to say whether you should use the old cylinder hole or not.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Depends. Take the existing lock off and have a look. Also, do you intend to keep the door? If you intend to replace sometime soon a bodge to fill the old hole would be OK.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman