Right of way question.

This one has me puzzled. I an on a main road approaching a chicane. It is on my side so I have to give way to oncoming traffic. 30 to 40 feet after this chicane is a side road to my right with give way signs. I approach the chicane as a car approachs the give way on the side road. He is indicating left and stops to check to his right. I meantime, am pulling out to go round the chicane as there is no traffic coming the other way. I'm watching him just in case. He pulls out expecting to have the right of way. I stop to avoid a collision. He winds down window and claims it his his right of way. I bite tongue instead of his throat as I think it is my right of way. After a short exchange we part company. Who was right? I think I was, but he thought he was. Over to you.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

4 seems to apply: specifically, "vehicle that is proceeding in the opposite direction".

You were right. Paragraph 2 in the section also says he was wrong.

And in pragmatic terms, the person who didn't look is more to blame.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

This problem seems similar to two vwhicles approaching a mini-roundabout. Give way signs and lines in both directions. Who has right of way? Probably the one who gets across his line first in most cased (traffic entering the rbt must give way to traffic already on it).

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

For a proper roundabout; at a mini roundabout, give way to traffic on your right.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Nick Finnigan wrote in news:431617f6$0$18640$14726298 @news.sunsite.dk:

Well, I don't agree you would do this in reality. Why give way to a vehicle just because its on the roundabout? Yes the rule says this, but in reality you would enter if your presence wouldn't cause the other vehicle to slow or alter its path.

Reply to
Cessna172

If entering the roundabout wouldn't cause the other vehicle to slow or alter its path how the hell are you going to give way to it? Get out and make obeisance?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Drivers do it all the time. They stop and give way because a car is to their right and on the roundabout, regardless if they have enough time to go.

Reply to
Cessna172

I've seen some drivers stop at every roundabout even when there is no-one already on it. They seem incapable of assessing the situation without

*stopping*!

Whose fault is it if I ram one of the silly sods up the arse? Yes, I thought so!

Reply to
Set Square

Set Square explained on 02/09/2005 :

This may be explained by the fact that some drivers are only able to steer in the direction they are looking. If they look around to assess surrounding traffic the vehicle they are driving will and does veer across the lane.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield