riello burner G7Q intermittently stops

Is there a diagnostic guide to the operation of Riello (oil) burners please?

ie What to listen for, What to look for, Exhaust odour etc?

The burner is a Riello G7Q in a Boulter Camray Quartet oil CH boiler.

A technical manual for the (?similar) G5 series is at:

covers 'What's where? & Where to adjust' mechanically but what I would really like to obtain is a 'feel' for what is going on when the burner goes awry.

In the same way that I have a feel for what is happening when a petrol car engine is not running properly.

The boiler is serviced at least annually but it can go into one of several types of 'misfiring mode' without apparent warning. This makes it chancy to go away in winter.

TIA for any pointers.

Reply to
jim

Mine has always been that way - about one firing in 100 doesnt work and it locks up.

I assume a sooty sensor or something.

I've never had an oil boiler that didn't at some point do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , jim writes

You need to wait for cynic to turn up, he's the expert in that field

Reply to
geoff

Pada Senin, 09 April 2012 03.24.20 UTC+7, jim menulis:

Reply to
pt.indiradwimitra

As aware of the original date of a post for example. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I know this is a DIY group, but...........

Bear in mind I know nothing about oil fired boilers, but my son's property has two. At the time he was working away, so I had to look after any work around his house. Both boilers had been serviced regularly, but neither son nor I were happy with how they were working.

After asking around, we finally got a recommendation of someone to look at them. He came and took me through each stage of checks and observations. He found and dealt with several problems. One example of something he found was that one boiler had the wrong size of nozzle fitted. This hadn't been noticed on any of the previous "services". Our "good man" charged less as well.

My advice would be to try to find a really good professional and get him to check everything with you watching.

Reply to
Bill

My exp[ereince with oil boliers is generally that if the fuel is there, the fuel filters are clean and te nozzle is new, they are 100% reliable UNTIL you get a gale and the balanced flue goes ape. And then te opto detecor gets sooted up and they start to cut out.

Oil burners are simple brutes. They have a motor that pumps fuel and air. They have a nozzle. They have a spark ignition system, they have a detector to detect ignition (or lack of it) and they have a fuel supply with filters.

If in doubt replace all filters, and the nozzle, and clean the opto detector.

Or if its all getting too bad you can repolalce the whole sodding burner for a couple hundred by and large

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

See

2012!